This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drug and Alcohol Screening Testing

Does anyone know what kind of Drug and Alcohol Screening tests that CAS does on parents who have substance abuse ?

Ex has used marijuana and alcohol - and CAS ordered tests done on him. He has come out "clean" for the past 3 months and because of that they are going to open up unsupervised access to our child.

How accurate/good are these tests ?
    Does it include the THC test ?

Would appreciate any answers re : the above.
    ALSO, can it be ordered that even after these tests are done, that a random screening can be ordered by the court a few months down the road to see if he's still clean ?

I believe that he is only "clean" because he wants to have it on record, but he will go back to his old ways once this dies down and that he has unsupervised access with our child.

That he has been clean for three months indicates an ability to abstain. Is it a requirement that he to quit altogether forever and ever?

Comment

Unfortunately he has as much right to be a part of the children's lives as you do, and if he's completed the screening that CAS requires to allow him unsupervised access, then that's their decision and you'd have an awfully rough time convincing a court otherwise.

You could certainly try, but at this juncture, from what you describe, you would be doomed to failure. If you note signs he has started using again, then there are appropriate avenues you can take.

Comment

Originally posted by dadtotheend View Post
        That he has been clean for three months indicates an ability to abstain. Is it a requirement that he to quit altogether forever and ever?
        Yes, point taken.
        Obviously it is a choice. Quit forever - would be nice for my child's sake and my peace of mind - but unrealistic.
        Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
          Unfortunately he has as much right to be a part of the children's lives as you do, and if he's completed the screening that CAS requires to allow him unsupervised access, then that's their decision and you'd have an awfully rough time convincing a court otherwise.

You could certainly try, but at this juncture, from what you describe, you would be doomed to failure. If you note signs he has started using again, then there are appropriate avenues you can take.
          Thanks for the advice. I wasn't thinking of challenging unsupervised access at this point , I was wondering if it was within CAS "jurisdiction" to ask for a random test done a few months down the road just to ensure that he is still on the "right track" of being clean.

Knowing him, because he was "forced" to come clean, and it was not on his own violition, that he will go back to it. He's said it many a time that he would "do it so that it could be put on record, not because he wants to." I can bet my last dollar on that.

Seems pretty horrible that I have to wait for him to start using it again, before anything like you say, appropraite avenues, can be done for my child's sake. I'm not much into the wait and see - I suppose I'm too much of a pro-active type person, since I know what the outcome will be in a few months.

My understanding is that marijuana is a "soft drug" and doesn't hold much weight in terms of being a illegal drug in the court system like some of the other stuff, and as such is not viewed in the same light by the court.

Comment

Was the individual charged?

Comment

Originally posted by logicalvelocity View Post
              Was the individual charged?
              yes he was arrrested and charged. Not sure if he was convicted of it or not. I don't have that information.

Comment

Somewhat explains their recent trend of change.

Comment

Somewhat explains their recent trend of change.
                  I'm sorry I don't get what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by E-Gal View Post
                    I'm sorry I don't get what you mean.
                    Possible explanation for coming clean for the past three months. What was/is the charge?

Comment

Possible explanation for coming clean for the past three months. What was/is the charge?
                      Ex was arrested by police after he was seen purchasing drugs at a drug dealers house that was under surveillence. The cops told me that there was a hand to hand transaction and money exchanged. He was charged with possession. (As I said before - not sure if he got convicted)

CAS was involved because he had our 8 year old child with him when he got arrested. They put him through drug and alcohol screening - which they now say shows that he's been clean for 3 months. He's a great manipulator, and very good at conning people, and it frustrates me to know that he is just putting on his "concerned parent" act. He says he's learned his lesson - but I know that's just another of his lies because on the one hand he says he has learnt, the other, he's said that he'll do what he has to do and so that it can be "put on record".

I know that won't last - my question was to ask if they (CAS) could ask for a random test to be done a few months down the road to see if he's still clean.
                      I'm afraid that while he is "clean" now, - what's to stop him from going back to the same habits (his friends are of like mind) and puttin our child in harms way again. A leopard doesn't change it's spots.

I am only concerned for my child's safety. Am I supposed to "hope" it doesn't happen ? That doesn't give much of peace of mind that's for sure.

Comment

What was the drug?

...my question was to ask if they (CAS) could ask for a random test to be done a few months down the road to see if he's still clean.
                        They can ask, but will they? Not likely based on one brush with the law.

A leopard doesn't change it's spots.
                        My ex-leopard appears to have changed those spots.

Comment

Originally posted by dadtotheend View Post
                          What was the drug?

It was marijuana.

They can ask, but will they? Not likely based on one brush with the law.

I have a meeting coming up with them and I will ask them.
                          Just because he's had one brush with the law just means that he's not been caught all the other times.

My ex-leopard appears to have changed those spots.
                          I'm happy for you.

Comment

I suspect as a result of the charge and if the information has yet to be settled -- they are under some sort of recognizance/undertaking/bail condition whereby they must abide certain terms.

Probably, refrain from use of illicit substances and or alcohol and additionally keep the peace or face further breach of recognizance charge. It's common stipulations with respect to bail.

Comment

Why are you against the father from having access?

Do you drink or do drugs? Have you ever drunk or done drugs? I am sure you have. Maybe you should be made to pee in a bottle too?

Just because he has or uses soft drugs does not make him a bad parent. Just as much as a parent who has a drink once in a while. If the drugs affects their ability to parent, then that is a different story, and I would fight very hard to limit access too.

There are lots of people who are charged with drinking and driving after only had a small amount of alcohol at a resturaunt or christmas party. Does not mean they were drunk. Should all these people be removed from their children's lives?

If the ex was an unfit parent, then there is grounds to complain. Sounds like you just don't want him to have access, and that is just awful. Maybe you should be the person restricted by CAS, because I am sure you tell the kids how bad dad is because he drinks and does drugs, and use the fact that he was restricted by CAS as proof.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X