X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Law With Property Together

Lived together for 5 years, together for 6.5 - no kids

He owns the house we lived together in. We bought a house up north (joint tenants) and some land (tenants in common) both titles have both names. The house and land was put on HIS home owners line of credit against HIS house, so ALL debt is in HIS name and all properties in OUR names.

(also, he has been legally separated for 25 years, not sure if this makes any difference as to the legitamacy of being "common law")

The questions I have are:

Because the debt is solely in HIS name, could I still be held responsible for repaying any of it?

Am I entitled to half the value of the properties? Buy me out? He does NOT want to sell it and is not giving me a copy of any of the paperwork.

I am currently waiting for a lawyer to call me back (for 30 min free consultation) but just wanted to get some other opinions in the mean time.

He has sent me several emails asking me how much money I want to take my name off of the properties. I have put well over $60 000 into everything (credit line, his house, our house, etc...) over the past few years. Does this sound like a fair amount to settle on?

Any comments are appreciated.

Thank you!

you dont want to pay half the debt but want half the value of the property??? Come on now be fair. If he went into debt to buy the properties in question so if you dont have a legal obligation you at least have a moral one. You expect to walk away getting all the money you put into things back the way I understand it. What about how much it would have cost you to rent a place or buy your own?? You cannot live for free.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X