Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lawyer may request for extension.. Can I ask for cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawyer may request for extension.. Can I ask for cost?

It's been well over 30 days since ex was served. I spoke with the court house today and was advised that since its past the 30 days since he was serve he and lawyer cannot file without consent from either myself or judge.
    First appearance is in a week and a half. Questions
    1) At what point can I ask for cost of my time etc?
    2) are extension usually granted for filing late?
    Has anyone dealt with situation similar to this?
    Thank you all in advance

We had served a motion, ex hired a lawyer the morning of our first court date. He ( lawyer) walked in and said I have been hired so I need time to review the case. Judge said sure but awarded costs for my daughter days pay.

Comment

I was told I could ask for costs. How much is reasonable to ask for? $100/hour of work?

Comment

I think you have to equate it with actual costs. What is your daily employment rate of pay? That sort of,thing.

Comment

Okay. That would make sense. I would calculate how much it would have cost me to take the time off to appear etc?

Comment

I think you actually have to have taken the time off. So essentially you take the day off work, he turns up and asks for an extension and you ask for costs of a day wasted.

If he does not turn up then you proceed.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X