X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Division of Matrimonial home when parents are also in the title

Hi everyone!

I'm separating from my husband and recently found out that his parents are also in the title of the house, he told me before they helped him as cosigners in order to get it, but we never talk about it again, we have been together for 6 years, married 5, and we have a 3 1/2 year old son , recently he hired another lawyer and now is position is that his parents are true owners of the house and he only owns one 1/3 of the property, for me was a big surprise i never heard that before in all the years together, they never pay bills, morgage or anything like in our home, never lived here either, they own their own property in the same area but is a more expensive home... To top it all I have no savings, all my money was espeded in this house as well mostly in repairs, I always take care of the house, work as babysitter at home and look after our son. Any advice?
    Thank you so much and have a great day everyone!
    Forgot to mention i'm not in the title.

Forgot to mention i'm not in the title

Comment

all my money was espeded in this house as well mostly in repairs, I always take care of the house, work as babysitter at home and look after our son. Any advice?
      If your husband only has a one third interest in the property then the equity you may share in the matrimonial home will be significantly reduced. However, if you have put a considerable amount of time and money into the property you may wish to contemplate a constructive trust argument. Considering the value of the property, hiring a lawyer would be a prudent move given the complexity of such a claim.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X