No announcement yet.

Common Law Separation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has the OP considered that he may not be able to keep the home? Even if he keeps it and then gets child support and some spousal support, if that's the only income he has coming in, the house may not be affordable (which will only exacerbate anxiety). If I were him, I would start getting the house assessed for sale.

It's also important whether the OP has been determined to be unable to work by a medical professional. If there is a doctor who can say "Mr xxx suffers from condition abc and is therefore not able to re-enter the workforce full time", the case for spousal support becomes clearer. "Anxiety" could mean many things.

I think it is reasonable to seek short-term SS in order to retrain, with a clear plan for gaining skills in a marketable job which is doable given the OP's medical issues, and a defined end date for SS. This could be sold to the ex as paying a little in the short-term to avoid paying a lot more in the long-term, if the OP is completely unable to work because of lack of skills and/or medical condition.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
      Yeah I guess from your perspective things sound pretty awful. Thing is, many people on here started where you are, with the best intentions and what they thought was a 'reasonable' position. What you may find out though, is that things can very easily blow up, particularly when one party takes an unreasonable position or obtains advice from friends instead of obtaining proper legal advice.

Hope things work out for you and that your ex is proven to be "reasonable."
      Thank you for that, arabian.

I've learned a lot and I thank all of you with the utmost sincerity.

Comment

Originally posted by AVCanada View Post
        Woah, lots of assumptions happening here.

I'm not after the house, just my equity and child support for some breathing room of at least a year in order to get my life in order and make the transition for our son as tolerable as possible. Nothing more really.

Thanks for all the replies.
        It will be interesting to see if she makes an unjust enrichment argument given that you are commonlaw and she can prove she's been paying all of the mortgage for the entire time you've been living in the house....not sure how that would work out for her.

Child support will definitely happen. She'll get stuck with the entire bill of taking care of a child that belongs to both of you. I hope she wises up for her next relationship.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X