Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Common Law issue and need to know what to do..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Law issue and need to know what to do..

I entered a common law relationship 41/2 years ago in Calgary AB. My child still resided in B.C. In August of 2008 my boyfriend decided that we should fight for custody of my 10 yr old son. September my son moved in.

Then in November my common Law partner started chatting on a date site. In December he started text messaging these ladies on his work phone and setting up times to hook up. Everytime I asked him about it he told me to let it go.

About a month ago we had a huge arguement about it. He told me that he wanted my son and I out of the house. I refused to leave as we had nowhere to go and the income assistance program turned us away because we weren't homeless yet.

I ended up going on anti-depresents and leave of absence for stress leave from work. I asked him to pay for me to move back to BC so I could have support, damage deposit, 2 months rent and for enough money to pay for food until my son and I can get back on our feet. I didn't think that was alot to ask considering he makes $40.00 and hour while I make nothing due to my current condition. He told me no.

I need to know what my rights and my sons rights are in this situation. Should I be able to get anything from him.

You need to research common law alberta to get an idea of what your rights are. There is too much information that is needed to answer this question fairly. It all depends on who owns your home, whether you bought it together, etc. You may be entitled to spousal support, but I'm not sure if it would be enough for you to get a new start.

I hope things work out for you and your son.

Alberta Common Law Property Division

Comment

what we have

Thank you for replying to my message... We don't own a home and he only owns a car...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X