New baby on the way. Can I end Spousal Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arabian View Post
    BTW - if my ex could reduce or eliminate SS by impregnating someone then he would have done it by now. He's tried just about every angle there is. It's October now and I'm expecting another flurry of activity from him soon so he can drag me to court in December and then again in February. Like clockwork.
    Hahaha, sounds to me like somebody is very well organized, I suspect it's his lawyer who enjoys the stable income and the old fart who actually believes he has a chance?

“Stupidity is the same as evil if you judge by the results.”

Margaret Atwood, Surfacing

Comment

Thanks all for the comments.
      I've gone to court to see that there is a bias. If I were to divorce someone and right after I serve them with papers I mysteriously end up out of work, then the court grants me spousal support,I have nothing to worry about, right?
      If I go to court and ask for custody of a child, and at the same time try my hardest to prove that I can't find work, no judge will give me custody, but somehow it worked for my ex, forging documents and committing fraud.
      It's a deeply flawed system, and unfortunately, once you're in, you can't get out.

Comment

Originally posted by good_mom View Post
        I agree with all above.

No need to tell ex about new child do you really want more drama in this? You state that this was early on in pregnancy that will give you time to deal with the issues at hand. I suggest no one that can tell EX about it is told and that includes the children. You have a few months before physical sign of the pregnancy start to show.

You stated that present partner has 2 kids and no CS....I hope this has been sent to FRO. Dad maybe a deadbeat but if nothing is done to get the funds for the children then that not any better.

You separated from your ex to have a separate life keep it that way for your sake and your growing family sake.
        It wasn't the case, I did not initiate the process, i was served with papers, I ended up out of the home, and I can only visit my child.
        Eventually I met someone, but that came three years after the mess started.

Comment

Did she not have income input to her base on the last 3 years?

Yea, it sucks but you have to keep emotions out of it and work within the broken system.

All parents are responsible to support their children.

Comment

Originally posted by good_mom View Post
            Did she not have income input to her base on the last 3 years?

Yea, it sucks but you have to keep emotions out of it and work within the broken system.

All parents are responsible to support their children.
            She got income imputed on minimal wage!
            It was ridiculous!
            And trust me, I am a responsible person and I pay for my son, I ensure he's provide for. If someone is denying him of something that's my ex, because of her decision to not work. My income only goes so far...

Comment

Originally posted by c800957276 View Post
              It's a very messy case. Ex is in contempt of court, has committed insurance fraud, has presented fake documents and invoices to the court to change financial information, sent fake invoices to FRO to add "arrears" to my obligations, got arrested for assaulting me (no charges though), had the option to buy me out of the matrimonial home but hasn't, refuses to sell it, doesn't pay the mortgage, property tax, condo fees, insurance, and is intentionally unemployed. I have the benefit of being able to back up all these items with actual evidence. The list goes on and on.

AND, has made my access to my child a nightmare. Those are the reasons why I'm going back to court, but I just found out about the new baby, so this is going to be included in the bundle.

Any thoughts?
              You're mixing up too many issues. Go to court to deal with the house and the financial stuff, and get an order for access. These issues all involve your ex's actions, so it's appropriate that she has to deal with the consequences.

But your partner's pregnancy is not your ex's problem. You made a choice after your divorce to move in with someone who had economic challenges (two kids with deadbeat dad) and then to have another baby with this person. This may have been the right choice for all kinds of reasons (personal happiness, love, etc), but it means you're going to be stretched financially until SS is reviewed in 2015 (which is not far away), and you're just going to have find a way to deal with it. Don't waste your time in court trying to get out of a situation you created - deal with the (much more pressing) situations that your ex created.

Comment

There is no logic in seeking relief for self created hardship.

Comment

Originally posted by Janibel View Post
                  Hahaha, sounds to me like somebody is very well organized, I suspect it's his lawyer who enjoys the stable income and the old fart who actually believes he has a chance?

“Stupidity is the same as evil if you judge by the results.”

Margaret Atwood, Surfacing
                  Love it Janibel.

Comment

Originally posted by odinn View Post
                    There is no logic in seeking relief for self created hardship.
                    Not self created. Brought purposely by someone refusing to work with the sole objective of obtaining spousal support.

Comment

Not self created. Brought purposely by someone refusing to work with the sole objective of obtaining spousal support.
                      Well, presumably your ex didn't get your current partner pregnant, so the fact that you have a baby on the way, with all the financial complications that entails, isn't your ex's responsibility.

No matter what you may think of your ex's motivations, you have a responsibility to pay spousal support until 2015, which is not very far away. The time to negotiate a reduction or an end to your SS payments is then, not now.

Comment

My understanding is that you are asking whether or not SS would stop/be reduced b/c you have a new child on the way. To this I say: there is no logic in seeking relief for self-created hardship.

Comment

My ex lives with his girlfriend - our former employee's ex-wife (they were married 28 years). His girlfriend receives absolutely no SS from her ex. Do I care? No. Why - if my ex is stupid enough to shack up with someone who wants to leach off of him then that's his problem and certainly not mine.

Perhaps you should look at your own situation from all perspectives.

Comment

Originally posted by odinn View Post
                            My understanding is that you are asking whether or not SS would stop/be reduced b/c you have a new child on the way. To this I say: there is no logic in seeking relief for self-created hardship.
                            May I also add, having a child with someone with children from a previous relationship who doesn't get CS also adds to the self-created hardship?

Comment

So it's okay to keep the first wife at home as a stay at home but the second girlfriend or wife is a leach when she doesn't have her own income?

Comment

Originally posted by Serene View Post
                                So it's okay to keep the first wife at home as a stay at home but the second girlfriend or wife is a leach when she doesn't have her own income?
                                Yes, the second wife is a bit of a leach if she doesn't do anything to support her own children. The leachiness comes into play when she expects another man to take care of children that are not his, to the point that caring for HER and HER children make him unable to care for HIS.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X