Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law > Common Law Issues

Common Law Issues The law regarding common law relationships is different than in cases of divorce. Discuss the issues that affect unmarried couples here.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2007, 05:17 PM
longtime longtime is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1
longtime is on a distinguished road
Default duration for recourse question

I lived with my partner for ten years and left the relationship - my patrner refused to share any of the assets we had accumulated while together , changed the locks and prohibited my taking any of the assets I received as gifts or purchsed while we lived together. While we were together he built a multi-million dollar business where I played a small role as an employee. Towards the end of our relationship he had all of his assets frozen in a legal suit and I went to work separately and funded our day to day living for half a year before he got back on his feet. I left the relationship about a year after he got back on his feet.

When I left the relationship I thought he would let me come back and remove my possessions and some of the assets I had acquired or been given as gifts while we were together. He refused to let me back into our home, which had been registered in his brothers name and threatened to make me a bankrupt if I persued any legal action - so I took my pride and left him with homes, investments, art, jewelry, etc....

Within two years of leaving the relationship we both married. Unfortunately my spouse passed away after a year of marriage. Its now been 5 years since I left the commonlaw relationship and he still refuses to let me have any of my posessions or gifts.

My question is - with the time and cicumstances that have transpired over the past 5 years do I have any recourse to get my posessions back and if so what would I have to do, and do I have calim to anything else from our time together?
Old 04-28-2007, 09:01 AM
logicalvelocity logicalvelocity is offline
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,943
logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity


welcome to the forum.

Statute of limitations applies to unjust enrichment claims. If in Ontario, I believe you had two years from the date of separation to bring forth such claim. However, I would spend an hour with a lawyer to determine the full merits of your case.

Closed Thread

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about Child and Spousal Support deevusone Divorce & Family Law 13 05-09-2012 10:08 PM
Hello and child support question noelle78 Introductions 13 01-25-2011 09:55 PM
Tricky financial question sshygirl Divorce & Family Law 6 06-17-2009 11:36 AM
Moving Question Neets Divorce & Family Law 6 01-15-2009 11:27 PM
A question about common-law after divorce. Sk8r Divorce & Family Law 1 11-04-2005 10:20 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:02 AM.