A judge telling a divorcee to get a job is a triumph for women’s rights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A judge telling a divorcee to get a job is a triumph for women’s rights

A judge telling a divorcee to get a job is a triumph for women?s rights | Viv Groskop | Comment is free | The Guardian
    An interesting feminist spin agreeing with reducing spousal support.

I love this! Yes, there are always exceptions to the rule case but in the long run there are no guarantees in life.

Comment

Feminism is genderless. It just has a bad label.

Everyone should be economically self-sufficient. While you're married, you benefit from the financial partnership. When the marriage ends, you're each on your own. If someone's career was damaged or boosted by the marriage (one spouse lost out while bolstering the other's career, or one spouse put the other through school, that sort of thing) maybe some finite compensation is due, but that's it.

Comment

I tried to find the case law but was unsuccessful. UK court of appeal. Would have been nice had this Downton Abbey reporter cited her source properly.

Comment

Umm she still got spousal support and the judge just said she has to only work part time.

This is just appeasement against the spousal support backlash

I watched an interesting video on gender Nd career preferences. Basically it asserts that there is a significant biological source for why women dont want to be engineers and men dont want to be nurses.

Telling someone to get a job is brutal....?
          Last edited by Links17; 02-25-2015, 10:34 AM.

Comment

When an individual decides to intentionally be underemployed and under educated, regardless of their reason - it's just a BAD idea. Its akin to risking/losing all your money on the stock market and then expecting to be compensated for the loss.

Ah so many women did this though "for the children/for the family". Families can and do exist with working and educated parents.

Comment

A judge telling a divorcee to get a job is a triumph for women’s rights

Its one thing if spouses are in their late 50s early 60s and their chances of getting a meaningful job before retirement are slim. But its a whole other thing to have the ability (education and skills) to get a job and refuse to do so. I agree with this judge in the case. She walked away in pretty good shape with her kids looked after. Get a job to cover off your own expenses. I get sick of these people who get divorced and expect to continue to live outside their means and have their ex pay for it.

Comment

Keep in mind that we haven't seen the actual case, rather a mere opinion piece which very well could have tabloid headline. I find it hard to believe that a high court of appeal in the UK would tell someone to "get a job." Until I can read the published case I decline to comment.

Comment

Good point.

But the whole notion of finding it hard to believe a court advised a person (and a woman at that) to get a job is telltale of our societal values.

Comment

Serene - I simply prefer to read case law rather than the tabloids.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                      Keep in mind that we haven't seen the actual case, rather a mere opinion piece which very well could have tabloid headline. I find it hard to believe that a high court of appeal in the UK would tell someone to "get a job." Until I can read the published case I decline to comment.
                      Why do you find it hard to believe?

I am perfectly ok if somebody is making full efforts to work that I compensate them for their "marriage sacrifice" (i don't agree with how much of a sacrifice that really is)..... however I believe it should be CONTINGENT on them or trying to work full-time.

Comment

I'm merely questioning the tabloid-like headline and want to see what the actual ruling was is all.

Comment

Well, this is not the actual case, but does provide a little more insight into the rulings of the two judges Judge tells ex-wife of millionaire horse surgeon: 'go out to work' | UK news | The Guardian
                          Seems like a highly entitled ex, unwilling to work, and "evasive of her own earning capacity". And hiding behind the typical smoke screen of how bad it will be for their youngest child's lifestyle, while making no effort to get employed. Sounds all too familiar.
                          Can't say I love the UK's choice of working: "maintenance" in lieu of our spousal support..... which is not to say that spousal support drums up any positive vibes either.

Comment

A judge can't tell someone to get a job. What a judge can do is grant a reduction in support payments on the grounds that the recipient is capable of earning more than s/he is doing at present. Whether the recipient actually gets a job or not is up to him/her/.

Personally, I couldn't get past the phrase "millionaire horse surgeon". Who know that was a Thing?

Comment

Yeah it's pretty flaky writing IMO.

I look forward to reading the "real deal" when it is published on the British equivalent of CanLII.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X