Seeking advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking advice!

My spouse has hired a Collaborative lawyer and I receieved a letter from his lawyer asking me to get a collaborative lawyer so we could resolve our separation issues.

Previously, my spouse indicated that the court will decide the children custody.

As read through Collaborative law, they cannot litigate. My question is that could I respond to his lawyer that since Collaborative lawyer cannot litigate,
    I don't wanna pursuide Collaborative law ?

Originally posted by jsmith View Post
    My spouse has hired a Collaborative lawyer and I receieved a letter from his lawyer asking me to get a collaborative lawyer so we could resolve our separation issues.

Previously, my spouse indicated that the court will decide the children custody.

As read through Collaborative law, they cannot litigate. My question is that could I respond to his lawyer that since Collaborative lawyer cannot litigate,
    I don't wanna pursuide Collaborative law ?
    If you don't want to pursue "Collaborative Law" then retain a Barrister (litigation lawyer) respond to the correspondence and advise the other lawyer that you will not agree to entering into a "collaborative law" agreement. Then have the lawyer invite them to Arbitration as an alternative and provide the name of three Arbitrators and ask them to pick one.

You are not OBLIGATED to respond to any letter a lawyer sends you. Take your time. Find a good lawyer, one with trial experience and have that lawyer respond. If you really feel you need to respond... Tell them you are in the process of retaining a barrister to represent you and once retained they will be your legal representative. But, to be frank... Hire a lawyer now and just have the lawyer notify the other side they are retained and that you do not want to enter a collaborative law agreement.

Collaborative law is for people undergoing a "conscious uncoupling" not a divorce.

Comment

Great that's the best advice !! Thanks a million!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X