No announcement yet.

Another Post Secondary for Everyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A friend of mine who owns a farm and has 8 horses, says it costs 10k in food alone for a horse.

Comment

It doesnt matter if she has a horse or her ex has three cars. The bottom line is he is responsible to support his kids and pay certain s7 expenses. OP needs to get her files in order and start moving forward with upping CS to the right amount based on his actual income and request his portion of school expenses.

Making off topic comments is what drives people away from these forums. She came for advice not a commentary on her lifestyle vs others.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
        It doesnt matter if she has a horse...

...Making off topic comments is what drives people away from these forums. She came for advice not a commentary on her lifestyle vs others.
        I'm just confused by the whole "horse" situation.

Is OP expecting the other parent to contribute towards that? If not, why bring it up? Seems on-topic to me, even if it doesn't make sense. And the OP mentions it's "medically beneficial" (whatever that entails), so it sounds like, OP is making a case, for getting the other parent to fund this. If I was the other parent, I would surely point this out.
        Last edited by dad2bandm; 08-14-2015, 03:55 PM. Reason: Clarified my posting.

Comment

She basically mentioned it as part of the statement that shes been shouldering all the costs because hes said no to everything and its now getting expensive. If she can prove its medically necessary as a special needs therapy then she could argue for having the costs shared. Its not a case of "my kid wanted a pony and I bought it".

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
            It doesnt matter if she has a horse or her ex has three cars. The bottom line is he is responsible to support his kids and pay certain s7 expenses. OP needs to get her files in order and start moving forward with upping CS to the right amount based on his actual income and request his portion of school expenses.

Making off topic comments is what drives people away from these forums. She came for advice not a commentary on her lifestyle vs others.
            It matters if she expects him to pay for some of it. The doctor recommended riding therapy, not running out and buying a horse. It doesn't sound like she got consent amd his agreement before running out and buying the horse, which is way more expensive than riding therapy or lessons - not to mention not covered by insurance as therapeutic riding would be.

I can't imagine he should be expected to pay for her decision to own amd maintain a horse, however do agree that therapeutic riding at a facility would be considered S.7 with the proper letters from the doctor.

Comment

Does anybody else use the horse?

Comment

Maybe you can get horse support to pay for its share of housing costs and perhaps S7 for saddles and the like?

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
                  One can point out multiple cars sitting in "his" driveway.

One can also point out that you buy your own horse, and can afford all the expenses associated with that, apparently.

lol.

Wouldn't it just be cheaper for lessons, or some other lower cost option, than owning a horse and all the fees associated with that?
                  Therapy riding lessons are EXTREMELY expensive. I don't ask for him to pay for part of the cost of our horse, just for their boots that are required for safety.
                  I am trying my hardest to get my kids what they need for the very least cost to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                    A friend of mine who owns a farm and has 8 horses, says it costs 10k in food alone for a horse.
                    Must have a damn expensive horse with damn expensive tastes.

I work my ass off helping another person take hay off and they kick back part of it for our feed.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                      Does anybody else use the horse?

I only work her and ride her to get her what they call "softened" so that she is ready and responsive for the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post
                        or you can hang around and receive assvice for free

You'll do quite fine, start the process by detailing the budget, collect your invoices/receipts, etc. and put it all in writing. If you need some help drafting a letter, send me quick note.
                        Thanks mcdreamy...your offer of help is greatly appreciated.
                        Don't you just love it when some must make "asshole" comments?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X