This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confused about Trial managment

If court is scheduled for August 6, 2011, does the trial management start on this date? Or is it the trial?

I received the Request to Admit, Trial Record and Document Brief today (July 15, 2011).

If anyone has been down the process of trial management or trial your advice would be helpful.

The best would be to talk with someone at the court house. From reading in here, different procedures for different regions it seems. In Ottawa, we had assignment court as well as Trial management conference. It was the last kick at the can before trial. If your ready to rumble, you could head straight to trial. Trial management is just to make sure everything is in. I posted a list the trial management judge used to tick off making sure everything is in. Trial Judges don't like when something is missing during trial...

Comment

in our case, there was no trial management. We had an assignment court date where a Judge set a date with the amount of days we thought we would needed for trial (both parties self represented); and then to trial.

Comment

Trial management conferences happen, like everything else in family law, when you ask for one . So, ask for one. If we aren't proactive in the court system we are asking to be steamrolled.

Lawyers aren't solely successful because they know the law better; they have learned through experience in clerking, internship and in the accumulated practice of their firms what the expectations of the courts are in case management. This is half of the learning of being an SRL.

Comment

Originally posted by SillyMe View Post
          The best would be to talk with someone at the court house. From reading in here, different procedures for different regions it seems. In Ottawa, we had assignment court as well as Trial management conference. It was the last kick at the can before trial. If your ready to rumble, you could head straight to trial. Trial management is just to make sure everything is in. I posted a list the trial management judge used to tick off making sure everything is in. Trial Judges don't like when something is missing during trial...

Silly me..........I am in Ontario...... where is this posting of a check list?
          I am self representing myself (I am broke) and without a job I don't know what I need to submit (to whom or when). It is about spousal support.

Comment

SillyMe hasn't been on the board in over a year and isn't likely to answer your question.

You have your own thread and are more likely to get answers if you keep your questions concentrated there.

We get that you are unemployed and broke and we sympathise. You have to take control.

Go to the courthouse at 8am Monday morning with a list of a) legal quesions (advice) and b) proceedural questions. Ask for the FLIC, family law information centre. Get there early, there is always a line. You will be able to sit with a lawyer and get advice on your matter. Then ask for the Duty Councel who is a legal aid lawyer on premises to help you with filling out and filing forms. Ask the Duty Counsel all of your questions about what, when, and how to file. Write down the answers.

Don't just show up helpless, you have some background now. Have a list of specific questions you need answers for. Have a list of things you have to get done in the next week and get specific help on how to do them.

I already advised you to search Canlii for cases similar to yours that were heard at your local courthouse. Files are public record, you may ask to see these. This will show you how to word things and how to fill out forms, etc.

You have been provided links to plenty helpful instruction pages for navigating the court, filling out forms, and knowing the rules. Read them over and over, and write down any questions you have.

Plan on spending all day, every day at the courthouse or at the library doing research.

At the courthouse you may sit in on most trials. I highly recommend you sit in on a few while you are there, otherwise you will be having kittens the first time you are in a room with a judge.

The link to the "list" SillyMe mentioned is here: http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...406/#post68360

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
              SillyMe hasn't been on the board in over a year and isn't likely to answer your question.

You have your own thread and are more likely to get answers if you keep your questions concentrated there.

We get that you are unemployed and broke and we sympathise. You have to take control.

Go to the courthouse at 8am Monday morning with a list of a) legal quesions (advice) and b) proceedural questions. Ask for the FLIC, family law information centre. Get there early, there is always a line. You will be able to sit with a lawyer and get advice on your matter. Then ask for the Duty Councel who is a legal aid lawyer on premises to help you with filling out and filing forms. Ask the Duty Counsel all of your questions about what, when, and how to file. Write down the answers.

Don't just show up helpless, you have some background now. Have a list of specific questions you need answers for. Have a list of things you have to get done in the next week and get specific help on how to do them.

I already advised you to search Canlii for cases similar to yours that were heard at your local courthouse. Files are public record, you may ask to see these. This will show you how to word things and how to fill out forms, etc.

You have been provided links to plenty helpful instruction pages for navigating the court, filling out forms, and knowing the rules. Read them over and over, and write down any questions you have.

Plan on spending all day, every day at the courthouse or at the library doing research.

At the courthouse you may sit in on most trials. I highly recommend you sit in on a few while you are there, otherwise you will be having kittens the first time you are in a room with a judge.

The link to the "list" SillyMe mentioned is here: http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...406/#post68360
              Dear Mess

I went to the Oshawa court house & asked the guard(I forget their official tittle, they are in blazers) on the second floor in the court room waiting area, if I could sit in on any one of the trials/hearings/whatevers so I could learn a few things and they said no and that all court hearings were closed to the public due to privacy concerns.

Can you tell me your secret to getting into court room...

Thanks

Comment

You should be able to sit and watch MOST trials. Those cases may have closed that day.

Comment

Canada courts are open to the public. This includes Motions and Trials. But does not always include conferences, in that case it's usally up to the judge, just walk in and if anyone says something, state why you are there. and ask if you can stay. Always ask the judge.

The only time they aren't open to the public is when CAS is involved. Why I don't know.

Comment

conferences, in that case it's usally up to the judge, just walk in and if anyone says something, state why you are there.
                    For conferences, if someone wants to observe who is not a party or their lawyer, courtesy is for the person to ask the parties if they can observe (if it is clear who the parties are), or otherwise ask the judge before the matter commences.

In Ottawa, depending on the matter and mood, judges and masters will usually ask individuals who they are prior to moving on with the conference. This is partly to see who has brought moral support, and partly because a successful conferences requires the mutual comfort of both parties.

If one party (or their lawyer says), "we are not comfortable with person at the back", they will be asked to leave.

The only time they aren't open to the public is when CAS is involved. Why I don't know.
                    Privacy of the children.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X