Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 04:16 PM

WorkingDAD is on a distinguished road

has nothing to do with anger... I did not have to deal with FRO yet personally. ddi you read post Suit against FRO

Quote:
In a nut shell....
Support should have ended in 2002. 2004 FRO has letter terminating the support from recipient effective that date. FRO denied having this for almost 6 yrs. 2005 Filed motion to vary. By mid year business was shut down and homeless on the streets of TO. FRO starts default hearing that lasted 3 yrs. They claimed I had underpaid(7G) and was doing everything in thier power to collect, but infact (proven in court 2009) that have overpaid 56G. In 2009 Court issued no jurisdiction order dated back to 2002.
The suit against the Crown is punitive. All of the errors of this nature that FRO inflicts regularily is what we are fighting to change... the system is severly flawed.
some people should not be so quick with conclusions ...

Last edited by WorkingDAD; 11-23-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:27 PM

neverending is on a distinguished road

i have read ... and yes the system is flawed in many areas, I am not denying that.. however there is usually more to everything than meets the eye.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:37 PM

WorkingDAD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
i have read ... and yes the system is flawed in many areas, I am not denying that.. however there is usually more to everything than meets the eye.
exactly
so you would agree that same principle should be applied to
Quote:
if you are a decent Dad, and one who supports your children then you will never have an issue with FRO...
Old 11-23-2011, 05:06 PM

my bad for using the term "never", however the reality is, is that there is more than meets the eye in every case and not every FRO case begins or ends in a bad experience. If you are a parent who supports your children presently and are deciding whether or not FRO is for you.. you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:30 PM

Coop is on a distinguished road

I would recommend you stay away from FRO. My husband has been paying support faithfully but the ex decided to take us to court. Ended up going to trial. While we were waiting for trial she puts him 12,000 in arrears for section 7 expenses (90% of which the trial judge said were not legit). We informed the FRO that all of the expenses were being disputed in court, they didn't care. They have been garnishing 50% of his pay since April. It will be interesting to see how they "credit" us all of the money that is owed back to my husband. We also received new receipts the other day. FRO is allowing everything from 25 cent pack of paper, to high lighters to items on receipts of which you don't even know what it is for to be collected from my husband. You telling me that child support can't cover paper and pencils? I know, many of you think that it shouldn't be a big deal but it's frustrating being nickle and dimed for everything. It's always a "gotcha" from the other side. Trial helped tremendously though we are counting down the years until this is all over.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:46 PM

I get it.. however, you cant change FRO only a court order can. So there either is something in your husbands final minutes or agreement that has a pretty "open" shared expense clause. It sucks, but this is where people need to be specific as to what is agreed upon, a lawyer who is on top of things or have a judge decide what will ride. No one can change what FRO takes or doesn't take. The problem I had with my ex was that our final minutes stated that we would share costs -However, I was not specfic in what costs and ended up having to consume pretty much all the costs of everything by myself.. I called FRO and they said that they did not have an order to garnish or change any amounts and that I would have to revisit court to have a new order made that was specific. Each case is so individual - and paper, high lighters etc does seem crazy, however FRO can only enforce this through an order - so something isnt right or clear here. also if the trial judge says that some of the expenses were not legit did he or she tell you what you needed to do about it? Or if you have a lawyer did your lawyer suggest the next step would be?
Old 11-24-2011, 01:27 AM

runaway is on a distinguished road

I have a court order for my ex to pay support and it is in the process of going through fro because he refuses to pay. I assume that fro will also get the arrears owed as well. I thought fro was there to make sure the support was paid. I can't comment on how they are with the payor of support I just hope that they can get support to me soon. Making ends meet isn't working so well right now.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:48 AM

Exquizique is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by runaway View Post
I have a court order for my ex to pay support and it is in the process of going through fro because he refuses to pay. I assume that fro will also get the arrears owed as well. I thought fro was there to make sure the support was paid. I can't comment on how they are with the payor of support I just hope that they can get support to me soon. Making ends meet isn't working so well right now.
If you are lucky (a matter of statistics) -- all the paperwork is in order, case is assigned promptly, no hiccups etc. -- you should be receiving support within their service standard of 30-60 days. However, if by chance you happen to fall into the majority (again, a matter of statistics), then be prepared to wait up to 5-7 months or more for your payments to start rolling in. I would advise that you start to put together some kind of financial contingency plan in place for yourself in case it turns out to be the latter scenario.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:50 AM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
I get it.. however, you cant change FRO only a court order can.
True to an extent... you know how many people report to FRO that their ex are behind on payments and FRO starts garnishing their wages WITHOUT a court order? Once in FRO its basically the party who is getting paid gets to call all the shots... Section 7 for example... one parent can submit any receipt and FRO will garnish the paying parent without question...JUST because their was already an existing court order.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:47 PM

I have not heard of just submitting receipts to FRO... I was informed not only by FRO, but my lawyer and the judge who last dealt with my case that in order for funds to be garnished above what was already court ordered, that I would need to go back to court and have the courts notify FRO through court order that receipts can be submitted (notorized). Infact that is what I am in the process of doing right now. My ex changes employment regularly and each time he does it takes about 8 weeks to receive support. This is because the employeer has 30 days to submit to FRO. So they could wait till the 30th day and then mail it all in... it may take some time to get the ball rolling, but in my case once that happened support became regular (at least for as long as my ex was employed).
Closed Thread