School Uniforms - Section 7 Expense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Uniforms - Section 7 Expense?

My ex-wife just sent me an invoice for high-school uniform costs and expects me to contribute claiming it is a section 7 expense. I've found several cases on CanLii where the judge determined that uniforms are not a section 7 expense. I'm not crazy to refuse to pay here, right?

A few additional details for context. Combined income of around $190k. Monthly child support is close to $2800 for three kids. Uniform cost is around $500.

This was discussed in other threads previously. Do a search on the forum to see what those comments are. They go back and forth.

Comment

Thanks rockscan. I saw the previous posts but wasn't sure if anyone could provide more context or insight for my specific situation. I've already refused anyway so I'll just see where it goes. She'll likely try to get FRO to collect but I don't think they will collect for section 7 expenses not specifically outlined in the separation agreement.

Comment

They could do it but you could dispute it. If she comes back you can point out the cost per month for the uniforms and advise that the annual cost for them is covered adequately by child support.

Comment

Excellent. I'll just sit tight for now and assume nothing will happen. No point stressing over anything until it happens. Thanks again for the help

Comment

Originally posted by randomdad123 View Post
            Thanks rockscan. I saw the previous posts but wasn't sure if anyone could provide more context or insight for my specific situation. I've already refused anyway so I'll just see where it goes. She'll likely try to get FRO to collect but I don't think they will collect for section 7 expenses not specifically outlined in the separation agreement.
            I thought FRO doesn't collect on section 7- even if it's specifically addressed in the separation agreement/final order?

My ex was fighting me on the uniform issue- so I made it part of our final order. Our agreement can be enforced by FRO if necessary....but I thought FRO only collects on CS?

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
              I thought FRO doesn't collect on section 7- even if it's specifically addressed in the separation agreement/final order?

My ex was fighting me on the uniform issue- so I made it part of our final order. Our agreement can be enforced by FRO if necessary....but I thought FRO only collects on CS?

They can collect on everything anyone puts forward. There’s a poster on here who is fighting to have school expenses sorted out after his ex submitted over seven grand in other expenses like a gym membership and video games. Unless you dispute it, they accept it.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                They can collect on everything anyone puts forward. There’s a poster on here who is fighting to have school expenses sorted out after his ex submitted over seven grand in other expenses like a gym membership and video games. Unless you dispute it, they accept it.
                woooow. I had wondered by my lawyer was so SUPER insistent that all of D3's additional potential section 7 costs were included. Under schooling- he included, uniforms, school trips, school lunches (which I totally forgot that we get billed separately for the food), summer camps and before and after school care.

Comment

If your combined income is $190,000 and you are both fighting over paying $250 each once a year ... you aren’t fighting about the money. Just pay it for the good of your kid and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
                    woooow. I had wondered by my lawyer was so SUPER insistent that all of D3's additional potential section 7 costs were included. Under schooling- he included, uniforms, school trips, school lunches (which I totally forgot that we get billed separately for the food), summer camps and before and after school care.

My husbands ex submitted application costs and camp that he did not agree to. They were not section 7 and he disputed it. Took about four months and several calls to FRO but he was successful.

This is where I am surprised at FRO and the haphazard way they approach things. For us FRO said that they can’t calculate the percentages but they accepted what she submitted as arrears. For the gentleman I referenced they took the list of expenses and took some off saying not a section 7 but accepted others like the xbox game. Others on here have said that FRO told them they couldn’t submit anything. It is so ridiculous.

Comment

Family law is so unpredictable! FRO even says this on their website:
                      Special or extraordinary expenses (e.g. child care or medical) must be set out in a support order in order for FRO to enforce them. They should be set out either as a fixed amount or as an expense which must be claimed on a sworn statement of arrears submitted by the support recipient.
                      Based on this I would expect this expense to not be enforced by them as it is not mentioned in our SA. I'll definitely dispute it if it comes up.

Comment

In my experience and dealings with the courts and FRO, camp is considered S7 as long as the parent requires it due to being at work. Things like school lunches, small school trips, etc are not S7 unless noted in a court order. FRO has always accepted my arrears statement with receipts for daycare, camp, hockey etc. However hockey too is a grey area unless tour agreement specifies or if they are extremely good or have a tournament and plan to play for the NHL (as in very skilled). As long as the S7 breakdown appears I’m the court order showing a fixed amount or percentage you should be good.

Comment

Are you bloody kidding me? If the child requires a uniform to attend school, pay half the damn cost! Regardless of what you research. Don’t be a prick.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X