Ex hides money where/how to find?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex hides money where/how to find?

I know my ex hides money and now I am wondering how to find it?? I suspect family members, friends, safety deposit boxes maybe. Is there someone that specializes in this that I could hire?..like outside of a lawyer, or maybe some lawyers may specialize in that? Ex does have a large business, and did hide money from his 1st divorce. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sad that he has to hide HIS money......good luck in your search.

Or maybe earn your own money......just a thought.

I wish I had hid money......especially since I was accused of that with no evidence whatsoever. I didn't, but I should have done.

Again, why do men remarry after a divorce? Maybe we are the stupider gender.

Comment

check with the soon-to-be3rd wife (assume there is a new one in the wings?)

Comment

Originally posted by piggybanktoex View Post

I wish I had hid money......especially since I was accused of that with no evidence whatsoever. I didn't, but I should have done.

Too funny!

People remarry because:

1.People have this ill-conceived idea that 2 can live cheaper than 1.
        2. People like the "nesting" part. Wallpapering, revamping the garden, ... stuff that costs lots of money... this soon leads to money wars and then it starts all over....

Comment

Originally posted by piggybanktoex View Post

You seem to have a big chip on your shoulders. Assets earned during a marriage are equally divided. Period. Get over it. Please stop judging and indicating wives who earned less during the marriage deserve less, and therefore men who either hide money or are not forthcoming financially are justified. I am living this right now. After 23 years of marriage, and literally giving up a career to stay home with our children (a decision HE was adamant about), I am in debt over $50,000 while my ex just bought a $100,000 Audi.

It’s been almost two years since we separated and he STILL has not provided his last three years of income tax returns, or his financial information. Why do you think that is?

Having stayed home for over 18 years with my children, it is inconceivable that I can now, in my 50’s with physical limitations, find a career that I will be able to support myself.

While you continually seem to think all ex-wives receiving SS or seeking SS are lazy and undeserving, I suppose I can assume all men are jerks who feel they are above the law and deadbeat daddy’s/husbands?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Karma2016 View Post
            Assets earned during a marriage are equally divided. Period.
            Actually, there are a bunch of assets that can come into a person's control that are NOT equally divided during a marriage. Inheritance, life insurance payouts, disability settlements, etc...

Please stop judging and indicating wives who earned less during the marriage deserve less, and therefore men who either hide money or are not forthcoming financially are justified.
            I don't think it is just females in this position anymore. There are lots of examples on CanLII of men and same-sex couples that are faced with a partner's decisions.

This is not particularly a heterosexual issue. In today's society, my recommendation to anyone engaging in a relationship where they reside with another person to (a) remain fully employed and (b) be prepared to face a future without their partner.

After 23 years of marriage, and literally giving up a career to stay home with our children (a decision HE was adamant about), I am in debt over $50,000 while my ex just bought a $100,000 Audi.
            Why did you give up your career 23 years ago? That was only in 1994 that it happened. The suffrage movement happened 70+ years prior in Canada and you were not "required" to stay home and not continue your career.

I am getting the impression that you did not have a "choice" in the matter but, am confused why someone in 1994 couldn't choose to have a career. Children don't automatically mean both parents have to end their career. Especially in 1994. The spirit of the 90s was strong in 1994.

You could have chosen to end the relationship and remain in your career. It is not like it was 1944, 54, or 64...

Also the Audi wasn't purchased cash... It is probably leased. So it only costs the person a portion of the cost to drive the car for a limited time period. Sure the car has a value of 100,000 but, he may only be using it for 25,000 worth of the value and returning it afterwards.

It’s been almost two years since we separated and he STILL has not provided his last three years of income tax returns, or his financial information. Why do you think that is?
            Answer: You probably have an underqualified lawyer.

Any lawyer worth their weight would have served a Form 20 for the financial disclosure with an attached notice of motion dated 21 days after the date on the Form 21 and notified the other party that on day 21 they would bring the attached motion and ask for the disclosure requested in the attached Form 20 and for the costs for having to do so.

Financial disclosure is one of the EASIEST things to get. Its a technical request that can be granted at a Case Conference, Settlment Conference, or any other conference by order of the court.

Why you haven't gotten the disclosure is because you haven't taken your case forward in the appropriate way... (Rather your lawyer hasn't.) If financial disclosure is improtant then motion for it or make the request at the case conference.

You have equal responsibility to move your case forward as the other party. Don't just ask for stuff... Use the legal system to get it!

Having stayed home for over 18 years with my children, it is inconceivable that I can now, in my 50’s with physical limitations, find a career that I will be able to support myself.
            Well, I thought you gave up your career 23 years ago but, you have only been home with the kids for 18? What were you doing the other 5 years?

Again, you were not legally required to "stay home" with "your kids". You could have had a career too. In 1999 there were lots of great solutions for child care... Especially if you were a dual income family! I would say even more than in 2017!!!

What "physical limitations" are we talking about? If they are enough to prevent you from employment you qualify for disability. You live in Canada and there are support systems for disabled individuals.

Furthermore, what if your partner died and didn't have a life insurance policy. What would you do now?! How would you support yourself?!

I cannot fathom how an adult would allow themselves to become completely financially dependent on another person. Especially in 1999, 1994 or whatever year you turly ended your career.

Finally, everyone has value and is employable. They just have to be willing to accept the kind of work they qualify and the pay they get for it. The people who say they are unable to work at all confuse me. Especially the ones that are able to create an account on a web forum and post messages. They have computer skills and can operate the terminal at Tim Hortons for sure. Or is that work "beneath you"?

Good Luck!
            Tayken

Comment

I wish I knew how to mult-quote like you did.

Actually, there are a bunch of assets that can come into a person's control that are NOT equally divided during a marriage. Inheritance, life insurance payouts, disability settlements, etc...

Yes. I know.

Why did you give up your career 23 years ago? That was only in 1994 that it happened. The suffrage movement happened 70+ years prior in Canada and you were not "required" to stay home and not continue your career.

I am getting the impression that you did not have a "choice" in the matter but, am confused why someone in 1994 couldn't choose to have a career. Children don't automatically mean both parents have to end their career. Especially in 1994.
              The spirit of the 90s was strong in 1994.

You could have chosen to end the relationship and remain in your career. It is not like it was 1944, 54, or 64...

I said we were married 23 years before separating. I stayed home for 18 years. While pregnant with our third child, and two toddlers at home, my employer (a school board) offered employees a buyout which my husband, a labour lawyer, advised me to accept. And I agreed as it was a good buy-out and childcare costs for three babies would have been atrocious.

Also the Audi wasn't purchased cash... It is probably leased. So it only costs the person a portion of the cost to drive the car for a limited time period. Sure the car has a value of 100,000 but, he may only be using it for 25,000 worth of the value and returning it afterwards.

Oh, you know my husband then

Answer: You probably have an underqualified lawyer.

Any lawyer worth their weight would have served a Form 20 for the financial disclosure with an attached notice of motion dated 21 days after the date on the Form 21 and notified the other party that on day 21 they would bring the attached motion and ask for the disclosure requested in the attached Form 20 and for the costs for having to do so.

Financial disclosure is one of the EASIEST things to get. Its a technical request that can be granted at a Case Conference, Settlment Conference, or any other conference by order of the court.

Why you haven't gotten the disclosure is because you haven't taken your case forward in the appropriate way... (Rather your lawyer hasn't.) If financial disclosure is improtant then motion for it or make the request at the case conference.

You have equal responsibility to move your case forward as the other party. Don't just ask for stuff... Use the legal system to get it!

Again, stop assuming. I have been proactive moving my case along. Of course that costs me money to do so, which I have none. If it were not for my fathers help, I would have had to obtain a legal aid lawyer. A year ago, I had to bring a motion forward to get reasonable spousal support and was successful. And, in the court order he was to provide his financial information and proof that I am the named beneficiary of his life insurance. He has not done so yet. And yes, we have threatened to have his pleadings struck. We have also had a case conference in which the judge endorsed him to provide any financial information we asked for. We have asked for a plethora of documents which he still has not provided. Of course, we have to wait for his year end information to become available from his accountants.

My ex and his lawyer are pulling the old, We are too busy with our own practices to gather all this information. As well, it takes months to schedule anything with a judge as we require an out-of-town judge that my husband would not know.

What "physical limitations" are we talking about? If they are enough to prevent you from employment you qualify for disability. You live in Canada and there are support systems for disabled individuals.

Furthermore, what if your partner died and didn't have a life insurance policy. What would you do now?! How would you support yourself?!

I cannot fathom how an adult would allow themselves to become completely financially dependent on another person. Especially in 1999, 1994 or whatever year you turly ended your career.

Finally, everyone has value and is employable. They just have to be willing to accept the kind of work they qualify and the pay they get for it. The people who say they are unable to work at all confuse me. Especially the ones that are able to create an account on a web forum and post messages. They have computer skills and can operate the terminal at Tim Hortons for sure. Or is that work "beneath you"?

I am not disabled. I said I have physical limitations for full-time meaningful employment. The details are none of your business. And I have a part-time job. It pays minimum wage.

Bottom line...my Wasband is being a prick. He is purposely dragging this out so that I will finally settle for ANYTHING because I am creeping more and more into debt. Because of the length of our marriage, and my age, he will be required to pay me indefinite spousal support, and a significant equalization payment. There is so much more to this story which I choose not to share, but believe me when I tell you he is absolutely hiding assets and trying to back date the date of separation to do so. It is a shitshow.

Comment

Karma2016 I know exactly where you are coming from.

I just read an interesting (long read though) case which just blew my mind. The husband was a total dick and did everything he could to not disclose value of shares that he had purchased during their marriage. The stalling in this case was tremendous. I just hope the wife will be able to enjoy her money some day. This is from Alberta.

https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/do...2018abqb2.html

As you are probably aware, there are several cases in Ontario where husband was lawyer and in all of them the judge really put the boots to the husband for stalling tactics. You can find those cases on CanLii as well.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X