X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legally Married????

Hello,

I have a question, I got married in 1997 and now its been a year since I have been separated. I have tried to get my marriage license from the government so I can get divorced. When I applied for it, I was told there were no names matching on that date I was married. Secondly, my ex applied aswell and she spelled her middle name diferently. And the answer she got was there is no recond of a marriage on that date. If the marriage was never resgistered, do I still need a divorce?? This has really brought in a lot of confusion with me and my ex, So in the eyes of the church we got married, in the eyes of the law, we are not married, what do I do????

Thank You

Contact the courthouse in the county where you were married. There must be a record somewhere if you did everything legally. Even contact the country courthouse where you applied for your marriage license back when you got married.

Comment

From a legal point of view, you're probably still married - if you went through the marriage in good faith and cohabited as husband and wife.

As kconnections says, there must be a record somewhere. Perhaps also check with the church under which you were married. Also, keep after the Registrar General - it may just be that the marriage licence was dated incorrectly, or a name was misspelled or something like that.

Don’t worry - if you’re not able to locate your marriage certificate, you can still get your divorce!
      Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X