Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:15 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

No its just 150 unless he is self employed. The worksheets are too complicated. Based on my husbands case (where his ex argued that she should know all his financial information including how much his bank accounts were worth to determine how much was reasonable for the kids to contribute for school) the judge kept saying line 150.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:44 AM

iona6656 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
No its just 150 unless he is self employed. The worksheets are too complicated. Based on my husbands case (where his ex argued that she should know all his financial information including how much his bank accounts were worth to determine how much was reasonable for the kids to contribute for school) the judge kept saying line 150.
Yeah- he has a pretty lucrative side hustle marking exams for CPA Canada- and uses this as a home business to write off a ton of expenses.

I get the line 150 for the s7 expenses...but as to calculation of child support. I dunno- I read through the worksheet, it seems pretty self-explanatory if you have completed your tax return.

Last edited by iona6656; 07-20-2020 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
Next step for people who can't get ex to provide financial is to go to court and get judge to impute income. Typically when this is done the judge will grossly over-estimate. It usually motivates the non-compliant to get their shit together and provide documentation asap as the Order could be for maintenance enforcement to calculate on higher, imputed income. Works like a charm.
it's like pulling effing teeth. he's an accountant for vishnu sake! all he has to do in this whole equation is do his taxes. that's it.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iona6656 View Post
Yeah- he has a pretty lucrative side hustle marking exams for CPA Canada- and uses this as a home business to write off a ton of expenses.

I get the line 150 for the s7 expenses...but as to calculation of child support. I dunno- I read through the worksheet, it seems pretty self-explanatory if you have completed your tax return.

Then he should be including that too. Kind of like someone having rental properties in addition to their income. If he claims it on his taxes then it is also income but is it worth the fight?

No line 150 is for the tables and you are getting full table correct? Divorcemate will use the tables.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
Then he should be including that too. Kind of like someone having rental properties in addition to their income. If he claims it on his taxes then it is also income but is it worth the fight?

No line 150 is for the tables and you are getting full table correct? Divorcemate will use the tables.
He can average 10-20k a year in marking...so it does make a difference.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:50 PM

If you can prove he is doing it then I say go for it. If you cant then dont bother.

My husband worked for cash when he was out of work with his ex so she claimed he was doing it when she came after him. Couldnt prove it because it wasnt happening. She tried to claim our trips were proof. I paid for them but the judge said he didnt care as his income is pointed out in his filing.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:24 PM

Update

the side hustle? yeah- it's a LOT. like 20k a lot. But I'm pretty sure they pay him as an independent contractor so he has to report it.

He sent me his tax return- after I asked him if he'd accept service of my ROI electronically.

Turns out, he was probably underpaying CS since we separated in 2018...to the tune of $200/month or more- not to mention, underpaying his s7. It makes me feel like such a chump. But what are you going to do? That was the cost of getting things settled.