X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying CS due to change of employment

I searched the forums and cannot find anything realted so here it goes:

I am considering a change in careers and the income may not be as much as I am currently making. Now I know that CS payments are based on line 150 but if someone changes employment can payments be changed to reflect the new income. If I were to get a new job making MORE money, the increase has to be made immediately so does it work the other way too.

It doesn't have to be made immediately. Increases and decreases are lagged such the the CS change will take effect the following year, usually around June or July.

Comment

We went through this. It is a tough tough road. We won, we even won retroactive, however it took two years. You really have to convince a judge that you had just cause for taking a job with lower income, unless you can show potential down the road. If your ex decides to impute your income, you have to prove it is for a good reason......ie......more stable job, persue life long dream, long term higher income potential, etc.....
      My hubby quit a horrible shift work, seasonal job, that was a nightmare with no advancement potential, to become an auto mechanic apprentice. His income dropped from 50,000 to 23,000. However, after two years, the judge ordered it was legitimate, and that as a person, he had the right to a life, and to do what he wanted with it. She did impute his income to 35,000, however, as by the time it got to trial, thats how much he was making by then. So, we overpaid CS for two years. However, we were ok with that.

Comment

I am in a position that will probably end December 31st due to termination of contract. The new position is much more permanent but salary will likely be 10k less than my reported income from 2009.

Comment

You shouldn't have a problem, however, you may have to wait until you get first T4 with lower income. Unless your ex is reasonable and you both agree to vary CS.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X