Stephen Collins audio tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen Collins audio tape

Wow. I know it is on TMZ (and therefore suspect and a bit sleazy) but I wondered how they could tape this with the therapist there?

Wonder what the laws are in the US? I know some may claim entrapment but I always say you could never get me to admit to something I didn't do, whether you were taping me or not. I could never be "baited" into acting worse by someone so they could secretly tape me. I am responsible for my own behaviour.

But this seems to be a therapeutic process. Odd. I am thinking the wife secretly taped and released it to the public.

'7th Heaven' Dad Stephen Collins - Confesses on Tape to Child Molestation ... NYPD Investigating | TMZ.com

I just read the wife secretly taped the therapy session and used it in their divorce proceedings. The article was on the Toronto Sun.

Comment

it seems he was specific about incidents etc. To me if he was baited or whatever, he would just say yes I molested kids or something like that. To give details makes me feel like he did do it.

sounds like she could legally tape it in her state. I am just not sure if taping it during a therapy session is acceptable or not. Does criminal law take precedence over rules of client, patient confidentiality? Plus I take it the therapist didn't know it was being recorded.

Comment

Seriously, proof you are abusing a child who cannot escape your grasp should by no means EVER be covered in any sort of confidentiality or secrecy clause. Maybe in the case of an adult because they can "leave" but a child.... no way. Find "serious" abusers by any means necessary IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
          Seriously, proof you are abusing a child who cannot escape your grasp should by no means EVER be covered in any sort of confidentiality or secrecy clause. Maybe in the case of an adult because they can "leave" but a child.... no way. Find "serious" abusers by any means necessary IMO
          I agree with you. I would hang him up by the nuts. and that's just for starters.

Its just the laws in the states are different then here so I am not sure about the whole confidentiality thing there. Its all the damn red tape.

Comment

I'm mind boggled with this one. Even more mind boggled that one partner would tape assault and not act on it, by at least providing same to the authorities.

SOTS - American states are sketchy on privacy rights and, as you said, do vary individually. But, I think, none can likely legally get past the expectation of "private communications". Which, presumably, would encompass discussions with your counsellor.
            Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

There are mandatory reporters in the U.S. so if this had been disclosed in a therapy session there is no expectation of confidentiality. It would have been reported in any case. In some states the holiest of holies in terms of confidentiality is denied, so no expectation of secrecy even between clergy-penitent. He would have/should have been aware that he was exposing himself no pun intended.
              Last edited by viewfromthecheapseats; 10-08-2014, 06:40 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Originally posted by viewfromthecheapseats View Post
                There are mandatory reporters in the U.S. so if this had been disclosed in a therapy session there is no expectation of confidentiality. It would have been reported in any case. In some states the holiest of holies in terms of confidentiality is denied, so no expectation of secrecy even between clergy-penitent. He would have/should have been aware that he was exposing himself no pun intended.
                Interesting perspective View.

And must admit "aware that he was exposing himself" gave me a chuckle.

Comment

Originally posted by viewfromthecheapseats View Post
                  The same holds true for therapy session in Ontario. Therapists have a duty to report if - there has been a criminal act involving a child, if they believe you may harm yourself or others.

Its disclosed at the start of the therapy relationship...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X