No announcement yet.

Step parents and permission forms / signing authority

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry but if it was Mom's parenting time and she was unavailable and thus left the child in the care of the step parent, the parent then becomes the guardian and can make such decisions. It seems like the OP just wants to create conflict.

Did the child get hurt? Clearly not, it is clear the ONLY issue is that Dad was not informed, but the truth is, on MOM's parenting time DAD has NO say.

There is no law against this, the child is being taken care of and healthy, why create unneeded drama?

Comment

Find me something in the Children's law reform act or in Family Law in Ontario that speaks to anyone other than a legal guardian having authority over the children and I will admit I stand corrected.

It is obvious you are a femal poster with your rosy view of our legal system, court process and that all can be a village. That only happens primarily to the women who get a winfall in divorce and regardless of their actions and interference of others, the court turns a blind eye while to are allowed to keep responsible, active, involved dads out of the children's lives, get paid to by the dad, and can allow manipulative 3rd parties to take over as the dad.

Comment

Originally posted by DontGiveUp View Post
        Nobody ever said it was a field trip.

a) It was allowing a child to leave school grounds on his own
        b) Ex has never been asked that nor has signed permission for such before
        c) Ex is away for one day, I am available to review sign and a interfering step parent in the parenting of OUR children not his took it upon himself to grant permission.

If there was not a history of conflict here with him then perhaps there is no issue in him giving permission when he is not a legal guardian of the child to go off school property or to remove him from school early etc.

It was not a legal guardian who wrote and signed the note and to me that is offside.
        SO what you're saying is that you don't *actually* have an issue with it, you're just picking fly shit out of pepper to carry on the conflict and find new ones where they wouldn't normally exist, simply because you don't like this person?

You're contradicting yourself in this very post:

then perhaps there is no issue in him giving permission when he is not a legal guardian of the child to go off school property or to remove him from school early etc.
        It was not a legal guardian who wrote and signed the note and to me that is offside.
        So which is it? It's an issue or it isn't an issue?

Seems it's just an issue because it's him specifically. If it were the child's grandparents that were caring for the child and signed for it, would you still have an issue? Or would it only be an issue if you had a conflict with them?

Comment

No such thing as "making someone else the guardian". The biological parents are the two legal guardians unless the court rule otherwise.

Comment

If it is one parent's "parenting time" with the child then the other parent should 100% butt out (unless the child is being harmed).

If it's my week with the kids' and I choose to have my best friend pick up and take my kid out for lunch or have a sleepover somewhere that is MY prerogative. If it's my ex's week with the kids' and he wants to allow his girlfriend to take the kids' out to the mall that's HIS prerogative.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemReform View Post
              Find me something in the Children's law reform act or in Family Law in Ontario that speaks to anyone other than a legal guardian having authority over the children and I will admit I stand corrected.

It is obvious you are a femal poster with your rosy view of our legal system, court process and that all can be a village. That only happens primarily to the women who get a winfall in divorce and regardless of their actions and interference of others, the court turns a blind eye while to are allowed to keep responsible, active, involved dads out of the children's lives, get paid to by the dad, and can allow manipulative 3rd parties to take over as the dad.
              LOL! Yup, when you can't adequately provide support of your position, always use the gender bias argument as a fallback.

Would you be so adamently outraged if the OP had posted saying his ex had a problem with his new wife signing the form for the child?

Comment

I'm not the one who posted the question. I am just responding to all the negative unproven responses to the OP. I don't care if it is my ex's lesbian lover, a stepdad, the grandparents. She or I are the legal guardians. If she is not available to make that decision I am and vice versa. Step parents have no parental rights over children by marriage, look it up

Comment

Yes I would, but only if you moderator's had piped in like you had and knowing you're a female of the system, you wouldn't have.

Comment

The problem is a board like this, so many people (moderators and senior members) slamming people who are asking for general opinions not beat downs, not to be told they are ridiculous and such. There are 3 sides to ever divorce / custody / access story

Comment

Yes I would, but only if you moderator's had piped in like you had and knowing you're a female of the system, you wouldn't have.
                      What does that even SAY?

Comment

The problem is a board like this, so many people (moderators and senior members) slamming people who are asking for general opinions not beat downs, not to be told they are ridiculous and such. There are 3 sides to ever divorce / custody / access story
                        You find it a problem that someone posted asking for an opinion and actually got some? Really?

Comment

Thanks Step-Mom! Keep dreaming that you have legal guardianship and thus authority over a step-child/ren

Comment

Not that I have to explain myself, however,

-Yes I am a female
                            -I have never been married, thus never divorced
                            -I don't get paid by a Dad, since I don't have any biological children

In fact, my partner is separated from his wife, 4 years and a bit now, he got the every other weekend screw job and pays Mom full child support. We see his children 2 weekends a month and on Holiday's, BUT only if it is his year with them.

I happen to be a step parent and on Dad's time, we don't hear from Mom, why would we? When Dad works on Saturdays, the children spend the day with me at work. Every decision that needs made do you think I call Dad? If I can't get a hold of Dad should I call Mom to see if its okay if the kids play at the park or have a drink of pop?

Seriously, when the children are with the other parent, it is their time to parent. Usually once a week, the children's Grandparents go to the school and take the children out for lunch. Dad is never consulted about this and why would he be? It's Mom's parenting time.

Comment

What makes you think I'm a step-mom?? (if that was directed at me)

Comment

SystemReform.

If you acted anything like you are now with the OCL investigator you are in for a very rude wake up call.

You come of as standoffish and would rather argue a technicality than the best interests of your children.

Again I don't know you and you may have been very nice and cordial but you certainly are not coming across as that here. Might want to take a step back and review your end goals.

To the OP. Would you have signed the permission slip? If the answer is yes really what's your issue? Divorce is about change and you no longer have control all the time. Let it go, for your own sanity and happiness.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X