Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They did call me back - told me that they don't give that kind of information over the phone and to call FLIC for a lawyer; I think the woman spends too much time around strong scotch tape and glue.

Comment

Are you going to call? I would. The Familly Law Clinic in the town I live in is free. I can speak with lawyer for an hour once a week and it does not cost me a thing. I found one lawyer in particular who I really like and just show up on the days she is working. Its been a huge help. If you are able, I would go to the court house when the clinic is open, get the paperwork, and sit down with a lawyer and have it explained to you. Its been a huge relief for me.

Comment

I'll bet it's a relief! My divorce dragged on for 3 years, that would $47,000 of legal advice!

Comment

Originally posted by Kimberley View Post
          I think the woman spends too much time around strong scotch, tape and glue.
          Fixed that sentence for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
            Fixed that sentence for you.
            Always a gentleman Mess.

Comment

Originally posted by supar3 View Post
              Are you going to call? I would. The Familly Law Clinic in the town I live in is free. I can speak with lawyer for an hour once a week and it does not cost me a thing. I found one lawyer in particular who I really like and just show up on the days she is working. Its been a huge help. If you are able, I would go to the court house when the clinic is open, get the paperwork, and sit down with a lawyer and have it explained to you. Its been a huge relief for me.

I don't need a lawyer, I was self-rep for my case and already have a final order in place; all I am trying to do is find out the outcome of his default hearing brought by FRO and whether or not he ever brought a motion to change without following the legal procedures.

I can handle the issues myself if need be, I just want to know where things stand. Calling FLIC for an update on the case isn't going to get me what I'm seeking.

Comment

After getting the paperwork on my ex's default hearing, I was really ticked off. He was ordered to pay a lump sum to get his drivers license back and then a dollar amount on the 1st of each month until the next hearing. However, the amount he was ordered to pay was well below the ongoing support and would not even put a dent in the arrears. I was mad. There happened to be a lawyer available while I was there, so I showed her the court order, and asked her to explain why he got off with such low payments until his next hearing. Long story short, he claimed to be unemployed and was ordered to pay this amount while he looked for a job and to come back employed. This made me feel better because I thought he was getting off easy. Thats why I suggested having someone explain to you what was going on. Still, there is no reason why they can't tell you what happened over the phone.

Comment

Ah ok.

Well I already know he's claiming to be unemployed, except he is working. He's doing construction for cash - something he is very good at and could make a lot of money doing.

He & his CL wife do not have their FB profiles locked down, so I can see things they post on their walls etc. She has very clearly noted that his parents watch their 2 kids while they both work; she works FT at a Canadian coffee shop that begins with the letter T.

That being said, I have to wonder what a Judge would even think if he is standing there, claiming to be unemployed whilst she is supposedly covering rent, 2 vehicle payments, both their blackberries and plans for those, standard bills, vehicle gas, insurance, food etc etc for 4 people on minimum wage or just above.

If they ever did a standard of living test that would make them wonder even more since they have two 52 inch flat screen TVs, new appliances, new furniture, Wii, Xbox, PS/3 (seen the pics and the gushing FB posts about the things they manage to afford & the kids have visited them). He's claimed to the kids when they have asked about his lack of visits that he can't afford to see them because he isn't working, but they can't understand that when they see the things he has.

Anywho, I don't get why they can't give an update over the phone, I've never had a problem getting info from the court that our original case was heard in, I would just tell them who I am, provide a case number & voila, info; it's a pain in the arse to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by supar3 View Post
                    Also, you should know, if he did file a motion to change and did not serve you a copy, its a federal offense.
                    Saying it is a federal offense makes it criminal, and it is not. Family court is nowhere near the same, and the courts take the view that while participants should know the process and procedures, mistakes will be made. Failing to serve can be proven, and the most you end up with is a new court date, or evidence thrown out, or a slap on the wrist and a stern reminder of the procedures...that changed about 10 years ago when they did the initial reform.

Comment

As to why you cannot get info from the court over the phone: You are not a party to this hearing, and therefore the privacy law prevails. The court staff are doing their job-and doing it right! You could call and get it on the original because you were a party.

Comment

It's FRO who said I could call & get the information which would be quicker than when they could update the case

Comment

*sigh*

FRO update from the default hearing that was in November, which was adjourned to Feb 2nd as he or his lawyer (if he has one) claimed that he was filing a motion to change was adjourned again to April 6th - the agent I spoke to had no other information.

Really, what a crock this all is.

Comment

Another update was available today.

On Feb 2nd he was ordered to pay $450 a month for Feb, March & April as he still claimed he was going to bring a motion to change support (the same one he claimed he was going to file back in November 2010).

$450 a month for 4 kids is less than minimum wage based on a 40 hour work week, so I suppose he's claiming he has a part time job - the FRO agent said that it stated that he was making an income from working so who knows.

He hasn't paid anything at all, but I don't believe there were any repercussions added to the order if he didn't make any payments. Presently, there has not been a motion to change filed that I am aware of either.

Back to more waiting it is.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X