Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any suggestion for lawyer of family law?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any suggestion for lawyer of family law?

Hi, does anyone know if there is any lawyer familiar with family law? We need to find a good lawyer right now since my husband has to provide a lawyer info. before end of July. If you have any good recommendations, please PM or post here.

Thanks in advance.

Where are you located?

Also, if you get the name of a lawyer, you should run their name through the Law Society of Upper Canada to see if any complaints/disciplinary history has been reported.

Here is the link to check lawyers for disciplinary actions.

The Law Society of Upper Canada - Lawyer and Paralegal Directory

Comment

we are in Ottawa. Thanks!

Comment

Here is a link to a site that was referred to me.

Its a rating site for lawyers.

I would suggest that you choose a lawyer who has a few people that have rated them so you can get a better idea of their work ethics and integrity.

I would double check them with the Upper Law Society for discipline measures as well tho.

Hope this helps, good luck.

I pulled up the link for Ottawa for you.

LawyerRatingz.com - Lawyer Ratings

Comment

Originally posted by Looking4Answers View Post
          Here is a link to a site that was referred to me.

Its a rating site for lawyers.

LawyerRatingz.com - Lawyer Ratings
          I just checked out that link and 3 of the lawyers from my firm are there. 2 are unrated and the third got a poor rating, which I personally don't believe she deserves. She is a very knowledgable lawyer who tells it like it is and some of her clients don't like that.

She helped me with my matters with my ex and gave me sound advice for the situation. There are too many individuals that come into the firm with preconceived notions about what they want and what they are entitled to, and when the lawyer doesn't tell them what they want to hear they get upset.

Comment

My first lawyer was constantly unprepared for any of our meetings and I had to spend half the hour reminding her of the facts and needs of my case. She would read my emails and charge me for the time, but not respond with answers to my questions. She tried strongly to push me into an agreement that would have been an extremely vulnerable situation for me. She spent over a year doing nothing but send letters back and forth, and then outright refused to file a court application.

I changed lawyers and the judge at the first case conference pushed a settlement on my ex that was over 3X what my first lawyer had thought I could achieve.

So what does this lawyer rate on that website? 5 out of 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
              My first lawyer was constantly unprepared for any of our meetings and I had to spend half the hour reminding her of the facts and needs of my case. She would read my emails and charge me for the time, but not respond with answers to my questions. She tried strongly to push me into an agreement that would have been an extremely vulnerable situation for me. She spent over a year doing nothing but send letters back and forth, and then outright refused to file a court application.

I changed lawyers and the judge at the first case conference pushed a settlement on my ex that was over 3X what my first lawyer had thought I could achieve.

So what does this lawyer rate on that website? 5 out of 5.
              Funny. My SO just had to fire his first lawyer because he (the lawyer) was happy to just fire fluff pieces of letters back and forth with opposing counsel, constantly missed out on important details, refused to spend any time explaining his rationale or approach while charging for every second that was spent reviewing emails (and then promptly forgot about the contents) and forwarding letters ... and yeah, guess what his rating on that website was? 5 out of 5.

The new lawyer my SO retained is much better. Tells it like it is and isn't afraid to be firm with opposing counsel based on facts. She doesn't have a rating on the website.

So ... i wouldn't trust what i see on that site too much, IMHO.

Comment

I just went and rated 3 lawyers there - felt good!

I ended up interviewing 3 lawyers - one simply wanted me to give up and the one I picked had a good balance. Had I picked the first lawyer, my life would be very different and I would not have achieved a fair and independent agreement with my ex. For the most part though, I have not used a lawyer hardly at all - avoided court etc.

I wouldn't go by the ratings, I would read the comments, they seem to be valid. Anyone who gives 5/5 for all categories is not giving a fair assessment.

Comment

Wow... the first lawyer I fired due to negligence, bill padding, and shady dealings was on there with a 1.1... five reviews and not a single positive review on him.

I couldn't find the lawyer I'm using now.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X