This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Expenses

Hi there...recently separated...2 school age children who live with each of us 50%...I currently make 75% of the total family income...I pay child and spousal support...she works part-time (70% of full time) and I work full time.

Regarding special expenses...I'm confused as to some of the criteria used and was wondering if I someone could help me out. We evenly split some things but anything extra-curricular / sports related, she feels is special / extraordinary.

How about these...swimming lessons during school? Swimming lessons outside of school? Sport registrations?

And regarding child care (I am currently paying a proportional amount of her expenses)...in our case it's before and after school babysitting expenses that are incurred on her days with the kids only. On my days with the kids, I have adjusted my work schedule so that I do not have the kids n any child care.

With all of this in mind, why should I have to pay a proportional amount of her child care costs...when I'm already paying child support, the kids are with each of us 50% of the time, and I have been able to zero my child care expenses.

It's frustrating to have to pay spousal support and child support and 75% of her day care costs...oh and did I mention she only works part time? Ugghh...

So I have some specific examples of expenses that we can't agree on as far as them being "special / extraordinary" or not...I would be interested in some opinions.

I am of course paying both child and spousal support. I make 75% of the "family income".

- General Sports registration? (soccer, softball etc.)
    - Pitching clinic registration? (not mandatory to play softball)
    - Swimming lessons? (during school hours, a school program)
    - Swimming lessons? (outside of school)
    - Piano lessons?

Comment

Regular sporting activities and extra-curricular activities are NOT special or extra-ordinary. The only time they would be would be for elite level activities, such as competitive hockey which requires expensive equipment and registration costs, travel costs for tournaments, etc. Things like soccer, piano and swimming lessons, etc., are not considered special or extra-ordinary. They are meant to be covered by child support. I believe the court's "rule of thumb" is 2-3 ongoing extra-curricular activities, depending on the age of the child. However, if you and your ex can agree to share the costs of even one of the activities, that's great. But if your ex doesn't agree to share the cost, I doubt a judge would rule that they contribute to regular activities on top of child support.

For example, my husband's court order reads that he shall contribute to other special and extraordinary expenses other than daycare and health care "as mutually agreed to from time to time." I remember the judge stating that although such activities are technically covered in child support, it's nice for both parents to contribute a little extra once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by #1StepMom View Post
        For example, my husband's court order reads that he shall contribute to other special and extraordinary expenses other than daycare and health care "as mutually agreed to from time to time." I remember the judge stating that although such activities are technically covered in child support, it's nice for both parents to contribute a little extra once in a while.
        so kind of the judges trying to slip in even more extra expenses for the payer when they don't even look at the housing or food cost the payer has to pay for the child while in their care

Comment

None of the activities listed in the first post are extraordinary expenses. Your portion of them is covered through child support.

Comment

Originally posted by got2bkid View Post
            None of the activities listed in the first post are extraordinary expenses. Your portion of them is covered through child support.
            About the before and after school care that she incurs while she is at work (albeit, part time work). This must be considered special and extra-ordinary correct?

Thanks everyone for helping me to understand this! Unfortunately I have been paying 75% instead of 50% for these things since I moved out this past spring. I'll have to just suck it up and accept the loss there, no way in hell she would pay me back. From this point forward though, we'll do it properly.

Thanks again!

Comment

extraordinary expenses (including daycare) are split according to income. If you make 75% of the income, then you pay 75% of the costs.

Comment

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/pi/fcy-fea/lib-bib/pub/guide/w2f-f2f.html

I had no idea that spousal support was factored in when calculating the proportionate amounts.

Comment

Hi again...looking for some input on this. Should Spousal Support be factored in when calculating the Special Expenses proportions in a shared custody (50/50) arrangement? The key word being "shared". Is ask because the Guidelines have worksheets for "split" custody arragements...which I have always understood to be when each parent has custody of a child and the siblings are split.

I have listed the worksheets that they provide below. Part F has you factor in Spousal Support. Add it to the recipient's income and subtract it from the payer's income.

Do you think the same worksheet for a "split" arrangement would apply for a "shared" arrangement? Thoughts?

Worksheet 2—to calculate your share of special expenses

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X