Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question, legal costs headed to trial and offers to settle

Hi community,

now that I am fully rep'ed legal bills are starting to mount. I am still doing a ton of work. I am thinking STBX will fold their hand (poker metaphor) just prior to trial.

At that time I'll have a lot of legal bills. So what do I do with those? take the matter to trial just for costs ? Swallow it when I think that I would gone to trial and "won"? i.e. gotten a judgement more favorable to me than my offer to settle.

thanks in advance

PND

If you're doing a lot of the work- have your lawyer start to pull back- change your scope to a limited retainer. The communication can go through you- you don't need to be paying legal fees to request documents. That being said- I'm of the opinion that this is where you start pressing down to extract what you want. Ask for part of your legal fees.

By the way- are you getting primary residence? If so- ask for support. You can write off a portion of your legal bills for pursuit of child support.

Comment

At this point you need to look at what you have gained with those legal fees. Otherwise you are going to go crazy thinking about how much you spent for what you got.

There are a lot of people on this forum who are paying legal fees just to avoid getting destroyed by the system. You managed to get your kids in your life too. You cant put a price on that. Hopefully with the equalization and child support you can manage to raise your kids. It wont be easy but life never is. You have more non monetary wins than most on this forum. Hopefully that outweighs the legal bills.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X