Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how did you know you needed to change lawyers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how did you know you needed to change lawyers?

My lawyer seems good. I like her, she seems knowledgable, what she says seems to match what I read about, but I also realize I am at the mercy of a system I do not know or have expereince in or know anyone to ask questions of. How would I know if something wasn't done right? I am placing all my trust on very serious matters in a person I know nothing about. It is scary. What are signs things are not going well with a lawyer?

One mistake I've read on occasion is for someone who hires the lawyer to assume the lawyer will go to court for them only to find out that the lawyer is just a letter-writer and doesn't "do court."

You should ask your lawyer when she is next going to court and that you would like to watch. She should have no problem providing you with time/date. If you like what you see you keep her if you don't like what you see then you dump her. See how the judges react to your lawyer. Is your lawyer well-organized and articulate in court?

Get feedback from people on here. People are pretty straightforward. You may not like what you hear but you can save $$ and much aggravation by listening to people who have been to court before you. Doesn't matter if you're in a different province. Some things vary but we are all under Canadian law.

Signs to watch out for: your lawyer is disorganized at precious meeting time... your lawyer's communication/letter writing is poor and has difficulty conveying information in concise manner... your lawyer is a name-dropper.... your lawyer avoids you....

others will add to this I'm sure. I was fortunate to have a good lawyer.

Remember - the less that your lawyer has to educate you on basic family law matters the better. Don't expect a lot of hand-holding unless you are willing to spend $$$. Same goes with always wanting to speak to your lawyer about mundane matters. If you need a friend get a dog. You don't have to like your lawyer but you should respect your lawyer's legal expertise.

Comment

You may also want to look on your provincial attorney general site for family law info. Most have good info on the process and what to expect. Also look for how to represent yourself info as that helps educate people on the process.

And the search function on this forum is your friend!

Comment

Most definitelynees to address the experience at court. My daughters first lawyer spent lots of time at court. He was a duty counsel so knew the system really well which proved to be an invaluable asset.

Her ex's lawyer had actually never been to court on Family Law which for him was a disaster. He was dam lucky my daughter did not completely screw him
        over.

So as you have Been advised check your
        Lawyers mode of operation. And stay in control of the Process

Comment

Money is an excellent reason to dump a lawyer.

Ask your lawyer for detailed billing, for each and every month. Review the bill. Question the line items that seem redundant, or that you don't understand. The time that it takes your lawyer to answer the billing question should not be billed to your account.

Excessive and redundant billing is more than adequate cause to switch lawyers. Fixing errors should not be billed to your account. For example, an asset is valued at $21,345 based on a document you provided, and your lawyer documents it as $12,345.

Fair valuation of assets and liabilities is another concern. Time for a new lawyer if they spend more than 3-5% of the value of a line item haggling with the other party, if there is no reasonable documentation supporting the value.

If a lawyer fails to follow your instructions or direction, find a new one. Always provide instructions in writing.

Comment

First one became deathly ill.

Second one had a rude, ignorant secretary . Lawyer was ok but secretary was such a nasty piece of work I had to change lawyers.

Third one I ran out of money plus he dropped the ball and I had to go self rep.

Fourth was too young and wet behind the ears, didn’t say boo when it was his turn to speak ( was a crying shame as he was good looking arm candy).

Fifth one I still have. Talks too much but he’s both brilliant and compassionate.

You can check out www.ratemylawyer.com. I checked out STBX’s lawyer on this site and the reviews had me busting a gut laughing.
            Last edited by Stillbreathing; 03-28-2018, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X