F.R.O. - any positive feedback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F.R.O. - any positive feedback?

I'm hearing some negative things about the FRO. Just curious - and hopeful- does anyone have any really positive things to say about them, or care to briefly share a personal experience in which FRO was worth its weight in gold??

I have been with FRO for quite sometime. My current husband chose to register with them as well after his ex would wait 3 or 4 months before cashing child support cheques. It is a pain at times when changes need to be made as they require a court order to do so & it can take up to 60 days for them to process the changes however they have eliminated the hassell of having to chase for money or in my husbands case...chase his ex to cash a cheque. Previous to Nov 21st when placing a call to FRO one would be directed to the first available agent who would familiarize themselves with your case by reading notes left on your file. Now when one calls you are directed to the agent assigned to your case. I have called a few times to talk to them but they were busy with another client and was directed to their voice mail. The message assures that they will return your call within two business days. I didn't leave a message so I am not sure how true that statement is. On a whole I would recommend FRO. I get regular payments directly deposited in my bank account & my ex can't decide to stop paying me because he is mad at me.

Comment

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
      I'm hearing some negative things about the FRO. Just curious - and hopeful- does anyone have any really positive things to say about them, or care to briefly share a personal experience in which FRO was worth its weight in gold??
      Given two reasonable parents using the FRO shouldn't be a problem. The problems arise when there is a change in income and it requires consent from both parents to change the amounts being paid. If the amount is lower good luck getting the other parent to agree without going on a motion to get the support payments adjusted.

That is the problem with the FRO. It allows high-conflict parents to force motions in court. Once the final decision is in place, FRO should be collecting the financial information from Revenue Canada and adjusting it themselves without the need of parental consent or a motion in court. (opinion)

Good Luck!
      Tayken

Comment

Given two reasonable parents using the FRO shouldn't be a problem
        Given two reasonable parents, the FRO shouldn't be necessary at all. They exist solely because not everyone is reasonable and people, more often than not are stupid. (I work in IT, I'm biased...so sue me)

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
          Given two reasonable parents, the FRO shouldn't be necessary at all. They exist solely because not everyone is reasonable and people, more often than not are stupid. (I work in IT, I'm biased...so sue me)
          NBDad,

I can't disagree with that statement at all. Money makes a lot of people unreasonable though.

Tayken

Comment

Thanks. I'm dealing with unreasonable and stupid. The other day he (texted) that he'd pay the court ordered amt when he "won the lottery/sold the house he's renovating throughout (that he lives in or "when *child* moves out". Yes sireee. That makes a ton of sense. Oh and somewhere in there he rambled on about how "no one would get a penny if he loses his licence and can't work. Yup. That'll show me. (?!) He's a total tool. Completely hopeless. I would rather he cooperated but it appears he thinks he will flip FRO the bird and dismiss them. I can only hope they have the "teeth" they claim to when it comes to enforcement. I'm fairly certain he's going to rub them the wrong way, fast.

Comment

Thanks. I'm dealing with unreasonable and stupid. The other day he (texted) that he'd pay the court ordered amt when he "won the lottery/sold the house he's renovating throughout (that he lives in or "when *child* moves out". Yes sireee. That makes a ton of sense. Oh and somewhere in there he rambled on about how "no one would get a penny if he loses his licence and can't work. Yup. That'll show me. (?!) He's a total tool. Completely hopeless. I would rather he cooperated but it appears he thinks he will flip FRO the bird and dismiss them. I can only hope they have the "teeth" they claim to when it comes to enforcement. I'm fairly certain he's going to rub them the wrong way, fast.
              If you have a court order with enforcement stated through FRO take it to them. If not, simply take the issue on motion, attach the email you sighted here to an affidavit and ask for an order that the FRO enforce the support order. Ask for costs too in the request.

Don't bring up anything else, just the refusal to pay.

Good Luck!
              Tayken

Comment

The delay has to do with the judge (from our trial) making her ruling on costs. My lawyer made cost submissions back in oct. Ex's counsel had 30 days to respond. He did. On the very last day. From there: the judge has 30 days (I think) to rule on costs and make it part of the final order. THEN it will go to FRO. Its a nightmare b/c while all this time is passing, FRO will also take several weeks to get the ball rolling. I feel my ex is going to first ignore them, and then mouth off to them. He can afford to pay the CS and SS.

Some lawyers think he got off rather easily. But he will do whatever causes the most aggravation. He has a wife, 2 young kids to support (w/her and she doesn't work outside the home) a home, cars, etc. So.... losing his license or going to jail isn't going to be an option for him. He's so busy being at odds w/me that he refuses to see or accept the facts: the big picture. He is a total headache.
                Last edited by hadenough; 12-08-2011, 08:38 PM. Reason: typos, spacing

Comment

FRO is a nightmare.
                  Avoid it if you can.

Sounds like you can`t, however.

Comment

I definitely need them. My ex cannot be reasoned with at all! He said he'd tell fro he's "broke" (he's not) and msged me that he'd pay the ordered amt when he "wins the lottery" - he's pretty much going to tell Fro to f*off by the sounds of it (once they initiate contact) and if my hunch is right I do hope they become HIS worst nightmare. I simply want to recv the ordered amount and move forward w/my life as it's been put on "hold" by Court for long enough.

Comment

Al Paid Up

I've been paying CS and SS automatically for 2+ years that is not court ordered. I have never been late or missed a payment (online banking does it automatically).

When I got a new girlfriend, my ex sent me papers that she had registered with the FRO. Not quite sure if this is bad or not yet. Initially the papers suggested (in not so many words) that I'm a deadbeat and they will collect it from me.

Whatever, I suck that up and move on... I make my payments, I know I'm no deadbeat.

Any constructive best practices? Do's and don't for anew FRO guy?

Comment

Print out all your on-line timely pymts. Send copies to FRO. As for how they word their letters, I have heard they can be quite abrupt. You have nothing to worry about by the sounds of it. I'm wondering if this "move" on your ex's part is somehow a reaction to your new relationship? Silly but possible. Don't let the FRO letter upset you: it souds as though you have done the right thing all along and can easily back that up. I really don't think it's personal in any way. What does sound "personal" is that your ex has taken this measure all of a sudden. Most recipients would be happy to have such good faith and timely pymts extended to them. The only reason I will be in FRO's system soon is b/c my ex is a jerk who doesn't obey court orders, or much of anything for that matter. Good Luck. Cooperate w/FRO, offer to send in proof of all your on-line pymts and go from there.

Comment

Fro

FRO has made an effort to improve service recently. When you call to speak to a real person (as opposed to the automatic line), you actually get transferred directly to your assigned case worker. If they are unable to take your call, you can leave a message and they actually do get back to you. Often on the same day. This change came in effect as of November 29, 2011.

This beats the days when one used to be waiting in the que for the phone to be answered for an hour or more. Only then to have the call answered by someone who was not familiar with your case file. Depending on who you got, your file was either expediated to the next level for action or you were told quite abruptly that there was nothing FRO could do to help at the moment but to call back later. When you called back several days later, the call was answered by someone else and you had to spend another 15 minutes explaining everything again. Only then to be told all this would be forwarded to your case worker who never called you back.
                          Last edited by Nadia; 12-14-2011, 09:38 PM.

Comment

The delay has to do with the judge (from our trial) making her ruling on costs. My lawyer made cost submissions back in oct. Ex's counsel had 30 days to respond. He did. On the very last day. From there: the judge has 30 days (I think) to rule on costs and make it part of the final order. THEN it will go to FRO. Its a nightmare b/c while all this time is passing, FRO will also take several weeks to get the ball rolling. I feel my ex is going to first ignore them, and then mouth off to them. He can afford to pay the CS and SS.

Some lawyers think he got off rather easily. But he will do whatever causes the most aggravation. He has a wife, 2 young kids to support (w/her and she doesn't work outside the home) a home, cars, etc. So.... losing his license or going to jail isn't going to be an option for him. He's so busy being at odds w/me that he refuses to see or accept the facts: the big picture. He is a total headache.
                            Sounds just like my ex

Comment

FRO acted like I was criminal

I am paying CS as a mother with joint custody. My ex collects welfare and could not account for hoe he could afford all expenses for a house and vehicle with long trips to girlfriend on 700 pr month. He works off the books and we are likely at par that way and he kept 90% of household items. I literally have had to buy or be given each and every little thiong, shovel. hose you name it. Anyway with regards to FRO the order was to begin in November. My ex advised me a couple of months later that his case worker at welfare wanted to know when I was going to pay. I spoke with my lawyer who said it would only be a court worker at welfare that wouls look into it and that he would receive forms before I did. By the time I heard from them 6 months had passed and they sent me a harsh letter advising i was in arrears and they would be instigating action. I called and told them that I would send a chq for the total owing as I was expecting it and that i was not delinquent as I had no way to pay!! For the next month I got two-three letters per week from them accusing, threatening and generally convinced I was at fault and considered deadbeat, would contact government etc, it was ridiculous. This went on for a couple of months after I had paid the lump sum and was making regular payments. They would not accept my postdated chqs and I will not agree to direct debit given their accusatory manner. I have to send a chq no later or earlier than 14 days too soon or they will return it.
                              When I continued to get letters about the initial sum being in arrears and had spoken with them at least four times and they advised they knew that and didnt know why i continued to receive these letters, They did send me a statement acknowledging no outstanding or delinquency as I requested and apparently if I ever ask again in my lifetime I will have to pay 35 dollars even though the mistake was on their part. Also my husband is to provide me with notice of assessment as I did, he did not. I was on medical leave and am sure when my working income is on return they will want more. Given the situation that is unfair as he has loads of undeclared income and my lawyer advised it would mean 7000 more in fees to have a juge impude his income. I also have my son on my dental for which I pay family rates and had to drop medical to pay the support, that was the arrangement made. When I had to use his welfare coverage they wouldnt cover the medication he was prescribed anyway and I had to jump thru hoops to use it meanwhile with the dental all he needs to do is take my son and the ins company is billed, no hassle at all for him. Iit was a privacy issue that my son was listed as being elegible for RX coverage thru his dad so he would have to go to store to get meds. They wouldnt cover it anyway. Hard to believe someone would want support over an excellent full health benefits paxkage for their child. I know the dental will be more necessary as I have a good plan 100% and 70% orthodontics so there it is. FRO really does not communicate in a polite or respectful manner and it is ridiculous they can harass someone then expect them to pay to have their mistake cleared up!!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X