This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada's Modern Family

OTTAWA - The nuclear family is no longer the norm in Canada.
    The mom-pop-and-three-kids-under-one-roof model that typified Canadian households of 50 years ago has morphed into a complex and diverse web of family ties involving living alone, re-marriage, stepchildren, empty-nesters and multiple generations sharing a home.

Statistics Canada has released the third tranche of new data from its 2011 census, this time portraying the changes in Canadian families and living arrangements over five decades.

Married couples are in a long-term decline, single parenting has risen persistently, and families have gradually shrunk.

Read the full article....

Foster kids, grandparents, single moms, soccer dads: meet Canada's modern family - Yahoo! News Canada

I feel sorry for the kids when they grow up and start to have families.
    Could be very complicated and confusing trying to please all potential grandparents on both sides!
    Okay, my parents can't be under the same roof together and neither can yours. We are invited to four households for (Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, birthdays etc.) and we can't invite them all here (for WW III will surely erupt). Argh! Let's just move away from the lot where they won't follow and live our life more peacefully without their interference!

Comment

from the article

Lone-parent families and multiple-family households, on the other hand, were on the rise. Single parents increased by 8.0 per cent from 2006, and more of those parents were fathers — although eight out of 10 lone parents were still mothers.

Comment

I thought Steven Harper sold StatsCan to Haliburton or something.

Comment

I always laugh because my daughter is an only child of my second marriage although I have children from a previous marriage. When asked in school one day "who is an only child" she put up her hand. When asked who has siblings she put up her hand again.......she looks at our blended family as normal thank goodness.
          I must say though that 90% of her friends are from broken homes and because her father and I are together after 16 years people think we are abnormal!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X