Claiming Eligible Dependent-Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claiming Eligible Dependent-Again

One more question about claiming 'eligible dependent'.

Ex. wants to claim child who, at the time, was in university, I don't think he can.

This is what I know from visiting the CRA website;
    • Child lived with you during the year.
    • Child is 18 or younger.
    • If child was to file own return, their income was less than $11,038/year.
    So how does ex. claim a child who is over the age of 18, by a couple of years, and made at least that much in part time income?

Thanks

I don't believe he's eligible to claim it but that said, why are you stressing yourself out if he does? (Or why do you care?).

He could claim whatever he wants on his tax return. It's up to the CRA to determine what is a valid deduction and what isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by DunnMom View Post
      I don't believe he's eligible to claim it but that said, why are you stressing yourself out if he does? (Or why do you care?).

He could claim whatever he wants on his tax return. It's up to the CRA to determine what is a valid deduction and what isn't.
      Agreed, you shouldn't care, CRA will work it out.

That being said, I know when I was in college, but parents were able to claim a portion of my tuition/books. Basically anything left over after my max on my tax return, they could add to theirs.

Comment

I'm not stressing out about it. Just wanted to know if I was understanding correctly.

He wants childs last two income tax returns so he can make the claim, and child does not want to provide them to him. I pointed child to the CRA website to get info and to communicate directly with dad.

I was also thinking he meant tuition transfer, as he has used the transfer before, but he is convinced he can claim eligible dependent.

So, yes, I agree, CRA can sort it out.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X