Sociopath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
    All you can do is your best to insulate the children against him and try to minimize the emotional harm.
    That is easier said then done. How and what can you do in this situation? He probably isn't clinically dignosed and probably a real charmer to others. Others might not see what he is like and he probably like all others that have this disorder are well at hiding it. It's only these truly close that actually suffer from this type of person.
    From what I have gathered from the poster's past posts, he is upset she left and probably part of their religion background doesn't help either. He is doing this despite his wife because she said no more, and wanted a better life for herself and her children.

Comment

LOL, since were profiling - if they are an avid facebook user, they could be seen as 'more narcissistic'

Facebook users 'more narcissistic' - Telegraph

Comment

Nadia, I too know exactly where you're coming from. My STBX has some problems whehter it's sociopath, psychopath or narcisist - not qualified to label. What I am qualified to say is that he mentally, emotionally and sexually abused me once he didn't have to "act nice" anymore. Me and my then 2 yo child got out but we've been paying the price ever since. He lies, cries, manipulates everyone around him and laughs while I struggle financially, physically and emotionally. The abuse BTW hasn't stopped. I've gone to great lengths to protect my child as much as I can - lucky for me, he made some serious threats against me and to take my child out of the country so I was able to get temporary custody, a restraining order and supervised access. My research also indicates that it's quite unusual for people like this to change in any way. My approach is to document with as much unbiased support as possible. He's facing criminal charges for harassing me as well but this hasn't helped me much. I debated about pushing for a section 30 psych assessment but I'm not sure a sufficient mental condition would be uncovered that would help me to get a final supervised access order which is what I'm after. All communication is through lawyers which is expensive but at least he's not able to get any attention from me. What they want is to get any attention from you that they can, they want to rattle you, humiliate you, scare you - this is what makes them happy. If he's not getting any of that from you, hopefully he'll find someone else who it will work on. My strategy thus far is to stay calm, focused and patient. I'm confident that eventually he'll show enough of himself to those involved in the case to convince them to protect my child as much as possible.

I do not feel it is in any childs best interests to be alienated from one of their parent's, to witness lying, manipulation and abuse. Keep your child in mind at all times and try your best to come at the situation from more of a practical place than an emotional well.

I wish you all the very best in this struggle for your child.

Comment

What do you do if you might be the one that sets them off? I truly think that my ex and I are truly unable to work together etc because of this.
          I don't want to continue living my life walking on eggshells around him and not try approaching him with things. I can't deal with his reactions, anger etc. Im tired of the threats etc. Im tired of playing the nice game with him. He's nice to me cause I know he wants something and when I decide differently, all hell breaks loose.

Comment

Like someone said above, ask him to communicate only by e-mail or through lawyers to keep risk low and hopefully to limit emotions and give time to think about responses.

I think it's extremely important with these types to take time to process communications with them and only communicate back what is necessary and absolutely important for the kids. It doesn't help kids if you're avoiding a discussion that's in their best interests because you are afraid he'll blow up.

Do not hesitate to pursue a restraining order should domestic violence or serious threats enter the situation. Be prepared that once you separate yourself from him in this way, he may get worse in an effort to get you back into the "game".

I don't believe there is any working together with these types - they are above reproach, smarter than everyone and not compassionate in any way. It's doubtful that you will have an excellent parenting relationship with this person but unfortunately you will have to deal with them anyway. I think limiting contact as much as possible is the best you can do in this scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by tugofwar View Post
              What do you do if you might be the one that sets them off? I truly think that my ex and I are truly unable to work together etc because of this.
              I don't want to continue living my life walking on eggshells around him and not try approaching him with things. I can't deal with his reactions, anger etc. Im tired of the threats etc. Im tired of playing the nice game with him. He's nice to me cause I know he wants something and when I decide differently, all hell breaks loose.
              IMO, the proper way to deal with his reactions and outbursts is NOT to deal with them. People with these types of personalities behave this way on purpose to get a reaction out of the victim, that's the payoff for them. Refuse to be subject to the behaviour and the behaviour becomes ineffective.

Approach each encounter with a clean slate, so to speak. Be courteous and polite and communicative as long as the other party is, when that ends and they become intolerable then the communication ends when you politely offer to continue the conversation when they can extend the same respect the other party expects of you. Much like dealing with a cranky child, they will eventually learn that the only time you are willing to converse with them is when they can be civil.

They may choose never to be civil, however once they stop getting what they want out of it (ie: upsetting you) they will eventually stop coming to you with it. You won't ever change the other person, but you can take control of how the situation plays out, even if it means hiding that you're upset until you're home alone.
              Last edited by blinkandimgone; 09-15-2010, 07:32 PM. Reason: the voices told me to...

Comment

That's the thing, Ive learned to deal with it and quite proud of myself. There has been multiple times where he would have an outburst and I was able to not feed into his anger but in turn cause him to wonder what the heck is going on because of the way I have reacted to it! Ive learned that he does feed off hurting me, getting me upset. It gets to me because I know Im part of the problem and can cause this type of reaction just by speaking up, speaking my mind or not agreeing to him and his demented thoughts.
                Things were good when I wasn't around, when he didn't have to deal with me, he got better. But now we are in court and that has come back. I worry that he will walk away from the child because of me. But then again, that would be him placing blame on someone else just like he always does.
                Im tired of being a doormat and not having a voice. If I have something to say, I am not afraid to say it. I keep my cool with him but I am not living my life fearing him any longer or upsetting him. But he continues to upset me, he has been extremely cruel with his words about our relationship. He forgets things he said, says things that make me even wonder if he is human and have two different personalities.
                He only gets hurt when he feels it affects his pride or his parents, nothing or nobody else.
                We have in the past been able to be civil to one another. We have had a few talks but we don't talk about our child, ex doesn't bring anything up. We haven't discussed much of anything about child. So even though we can sit and talk about everyone and everything else, I don't think that counts as us being able to be co-operative towards things with the child
                Last edited by tugofwar; 09-15-2010, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tugofwar View Post
                  It gets to me because I know Im part of the problem and can cause this type of reaction just by speaking up, speaking my mind or not agreeing to him and his demented thoughts.
                  That's not YOU, that would be anyone who took an opposing position. It's difficult to do but don't assume any guilt or blame for his behaviour unless you are purposely going out of your way to upset him by being unreasonable. Speaking your mind and standing up for yourself is not unreasonable.

Things were good when I wasn't around, when he didn't have to deal with me, he got better. But now we are in court and that has come back. I worry that he will walk away from the child because of me. But then again, that would be him placing blame on someone else just like he always does.
                  I suspect he takes this stance with you because he always has been able to put himself in a position of control over you and the relationship with his behaviour. He got 'better' when you weren't around because he didn't have someone to treat that way who would take it, although he likely would have taken advantage of the opportunity with someone else if it presented itself. Again, it's not you, it's what you represent to him and you really shouldn't blame yourself.

But he continues to upset me, he has been extremely cruel with his words about our relationship. He forgets things he said, says things that make me even wonder if he is human and have two different personalities.
                  He only gets hurt when he feels it affects his pride or his parents, nothing or nobody else.
                  It's funny that you mention the parents, many people I've heard speak about this type of personality also mention a very strong attachement to the parents, more often the mother, and it makes me wonder if there's something in the upbringing that feeds into these types of disorders or even creates it.

We have in the past been able to be civil to one another. We have had a few talks but we don't talk about our child, ex doesn't bring anything up. We haven't discussed much of anything about child. So even though we can sit and talk about everyone and everything else, I don't think that counts as us being able to be co-operative towards things with the child
                  There's no 'winning' or 'losing' when you're shooting the shit about the weather and the news so no reason to be defensive. It's amazing how they can seem like such normal people at times and then be so unreasonabe at others.

You're doing the right things by not engaging him Tug, please just remember that it's not your fault he is the way he is.

Comment

I know but it's hard to break the cycle. There are soooo many times I have questioned my own sanity! I often wonder if really it's just me?
                    I have gotten so used to it that this is the person I have become. Afraid of confrontation and now noticed it stems even more so to others beside the ex. I have just started to not care about what everyone thinks of me, or if they like me etc.

The parents thing, I strongly believe they are to blame for why he is the way he is. His mother is one of the most selfish people I have EVER met yet he sticks up for them like you wouldn't believe!
                    Nadia, sorry for hiijacking.
                    Last edited by tugofwar; 09-15-2010, 10:33 PM.

Comment

You'll never change him Tug, but don't let his damage change the good in you.

Comment

Tug, not a problem.
                        Funny you mention the mother. Same with my ex.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                          You'll never change him Tug, but don't let his damage change the good in you.
                          The damage has been done, and he continues to emotionally abuse me. He has taken so much away from me, why because I let him.

Im working on it, Im a great person, caring and loving. I just need some time to heal and move on.

Comment

As a number of people have pointed out above, no one is qualified to label their Ex as a Sociopath or anything else for that matter. However, I think we all know when something is not quite right and there is something very (very) wrong with the way someone is behaving.

It has been three and half years since the separation, almost as long as we were married. I wouldn't wish what I have been through and am still going through on my worst enemy.

I live in hope that one day it will all stop and there will be some peace and a life without fear of what he might do next.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing, I don't necessarily think of him that way nor have been able to pin point exactly what he has. He has self diagnosed himself with a personality disorder. So, he knows there is something wrong with himself but yet does not see it or the damage he does to others. He stayed quiet most of the time because I think he knows that when he opens his mouth, that he gets the same reaction from people (confused, scared about the way he thinks etc) I had grown accustom to it and used that always as an excuse for him. This is who he is.
                              It's just all the similarities of some of these disorders that is scary and how it relates to our circumstances and some personality traits of our ex's.
                              Last edited by tugofwar; 09-15-2010, 11:14 PM.

Comment

I think its safe to say - vindictiveness does not discriminate against gender.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X