Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2009, 08:17 PM
billiechic billiechic is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vaughan
Posts: 2,373
billiechic is on a distinguished road
Default Advice PLEASE

MY stbx and I have been separated for 3 months. He left the home, and we agreed to sell. On the weekend I was moving out he came to me asking if he could move back in while it was on the market, as I was leaving for my moms. No problem. A week later he decides he wants to buy me out.

So I write up a separation agreement, he agrees to it, he obtains pre-approval etc. Saturday he goes to the bank and after paying attention to the numbers he decides that he cannot buy me out unless I take only $5100 instead of the $10,000 I would be legally entitled to with equal division. He refuses to negotiate, even when I suggest I take $8000 or maybe $7000.

He has already called the Real estate agent. I'll be lucky if I come out with $3000 now (as will he). He still plans on buying a home right away. It's obvious that he is only doing this to spite me, he said he didn't want to "pay my bills". I told him that the money was the money I put into the house and he has no entitlement to my share.

This is the third time he has changed his mind. He really wants me back and keeps saying that if I just came back we would not have to deal with all this. He was abusive and controlling, and he is obviously still trying to control me and if I don't do what he wants I will suffer the consequences (like losing my share which I was going to use to pay off my school loans).

Is it time to hire a lawyer? Am I going to have to go to court? I don't think a mediator will take our case as he is obviously still trying to control me. Advice??
Old 11-08-2009, 11:59 PM
FreeNow FreeNow is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 219
FreeNow is on a distinguished road

I would say that the money your are fighting about, although an amount important to you, will be small compared to the total you will both pay lawyers.
Open a discussion that will save you both money.


Last edited by FreeNow; 11-09-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:27 AM
billiechic billiechic is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vaughan
Posts: 2,373
billiechic is on a distinguished road

I tried to open that discussion last night. In one day he decided that he now doesn't want the house and insists on selling it. I said fine. It's not about the money anymore, I just need to be done with this. It is taking way too much of an emotional toll on me and it is hurting every aspect of my life. I can't even do my job.

I spoke with a collaborative lawyer back in July. I've contatced her this morning for some cost quotes. I cannot deal with this without help anymore.
Closed Thread

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice Anyone?.... KTollef Divorce Support 13 10-02-2013 01:54 PM
Can we Start Fresh? Our Story ...Can you offer Advice? ConcernenedStepMom78 Divorce & Family Law 33 10-08-2010 10:38 AM
New to this Forum - lookig for advice on Separation (from husband) Margaret-Krupa Introductions 9 03-26-2010 06:03 PM
Need advice - long Anj76 Divorce & Family Law 1 06-25-2009 07:50 PM
need some advice on what to do sbjune84 Divorce & Family Law 3 06-11-2009 09:03 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:09 AM.