Sharing health benefits insurance costs after employer contribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing health benefits insurance costs after employer contribution

Need to know what is normal for sharing health insurance costs.

My kids are covered by my ex's health and dental insurance plans.

We want to share in the cost of this.

I know the family vs single cost for the insurance, so I think we should share the cost difference between single and family.

For example if single is $80 and family is $200, we share in the $120 extra cost.

Second. Her employer covers part of the cost of the insurance. I assume that we share in the actual cost, the cost after her employers contribution, and not the pre-contribution amount. This contribution is not taxable and is not considered income.

Advice?

Anyone have advice on this?

Comment

I know the last place I worked at the employer paid just for the single coverage. If you wanted family you had to pay the difference yourself.

Does her employer pay for part of the family coverage also? If not then the 120 should be split.

Comment

Originally posted by billm View Post
        Need to know what is normal for sharing health insurance costs.

My kids are covered by my ex's health and dental insurance plans.

We want to share in the cost of this.

I know the family vs single cost for the insurance, so I think we should share the cost difference between single and family.

For example if single is $80 and family is $200, we share in the $120 extra cost.

Second. Her employer covers part of the cost of the insurance. I assume that we share in the actual cost, the cost after her employers contribution, and not the pre-contribution amount. This contribution is not taxable and is not considered income.

Advice?
        That all seems fair to me. Are you encountering opposition? The only thing I would be concerned about would be if she has a new partner that is also included in her family plan. Then you'd only want to pay your portion of the increased cost with with the new partner's portion excluded.

I have no idea what normal is, unfortunately. I pay everything.

Comment

I pay it all as well. But your math sounds right. Single is 80 and family is 200.so you split the 120 with her. The employer portion is like 150 or something but like I said it's the 120 split that you need to divide out.

Comment

Even if she had a new family, the cost is the same I think. Single of family. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstTimer View Post
              Even if she had a new family, the cost is the same I think. Single of family. That's it.
              Yes, but if the difference is $120 for having just the two kids on, he should pay his share of the $120. If the difference is $120 for having the two kids and her new partner on, he should pay his share of $80. If the difference is $120 for having their two kids plus her new partner and the new partner's five kids, he should pay his share of $30.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X