Ending after school care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ending after school care

At what age do you think it would be appropriate to end after-school care?

Originally posted by HappyMomma View Post
    At what age do you think it would be appropriate to end after-school care?

I was reading that there is no legal age for a child to be left home alone. However CAS website states...Everyone who unlawfully abandons or exposes a child who is under the age of 10 years, so that its life is or is likely to be endangered, or its health is or is likely to be permanently injured is guilty of an offence that carries a penalty of imprisonment of not more than two years.

So...my answer would be 10. I've just been researching this. My d9 is BEGGING me to allow her to walk to and from school on her own. I am still taking her to before and after school as I start work before school starts and get home later after it ends. We live extremely close to the school.

I've told her we will discuss it next year when she's 10. I think it also has much to do with the maturity level of your child. My daughter is a good, mature girl.

Comment

How far away is the school from home?

If you got a call in the afternoon from your child with an emergency, how long would it take you to get home?

Are their neighbours who are reliable and availble if she had a problem?

It is not the age, it is if they are completely alone, or if there is reasonable access to assistance if needed.

Comment

Most schools will offer course for kids age 10 and up..." Staying Home alone" and babysitting course as well as first aide and CPR.

All great to have...both my kids enjoyed the classes and I feel better knowing they have it.

Comment

Originally posted by good_mom View Post
          Most schools will offer course for kids age 10 and up..." Staying Home alone" and babysitting course as well as first aide and CPR.

All great to have...both my kids enjoyed the classes and I feel better knowing they have it.

Agreed, my daughter has done the "Staying Home Alone" last school year and wants to take the babysitters course this year. The cost was reasonable as well.

Comment

Originally posted by good_mom View Post

That's a fantastic idea! Thanks.

Comment

I would suggest it is highly dependant on the child and the circumstances.

If there is a child they can consistently walk with, that would help. If they are mature and not accident prone, thats another.

My parents left me alone when I was 9, but I lived in the country where I knew every neighbour for 2 miles in any direction.

Comment

I agree having a spot to go in case of emergency would be at the top of the list.

If you are 30 mins away and the child has no where to go for help should they need it I would say no.

Comment

I don't think its so much age as maturity level.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X