Am I in A Common Law Relationship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
    Ugh, this sort of behaviour is despicable, on BOTH sides.

The women are basically prostituting themselves for having a great lifestyle and maybe not having to work in their home countries, and the chance to come to Canada, pretending to love the man, but really scheming to dump him and clean him out.

The men are basically keeping a prostitute on retainer for their personal sexual use in the other country, while pretending to love the woman, but have no intentions of making it a full and equal relationship.

Neither side can ever trust the other. There are no deep feelings; they are only using each other to get what they want (sex/money).

This is why the world still needs feminism.
    It is the law here in Canada that has made relationships about sex and money. If 2 people have regular sex for 3 years or more, and the relationship breaks, that means money has to flow to equalize the money. And of course, the lawyers and judges want to keep it this way, because it is a major source of revenue for themselves.

It's not about love or deep feelings, and never has been in the eyes of the law. It's all about the money, not only the net assets but also monthly cashflow to maintain the current life style for the woman and the kids.

There are cases, where it has been about love and feelings. 2 people fall in love, the guy loves her so much, that he even treats her kids as his own. Then the relationship breaks - and each gets half the net assets, and of course the man, in 98% of cases, pays the woman, and he also gets to pay her alimony and because he also loved the kids, and gave them presents, took them on holidays, he also pays child support, so the kids to continue their lives as though he was still involved in their lives from a financial viewpoint. He never adopted the kids and the kids were not his biologically.

In my opinion, the law is unfair, because it assumes, the woman made the man successful and therefore is fully entitled to half of everything.

Comment

The law recognizes that one person stayed home (forgoing a career of their own) to raise the children, maintain the home, thus freeing the other person up to pursue their career.... intended outcome being that both individuals share in the success. The law recognizes that this is a contract or agreement between two people.

Of course there are differences but then that is why spousal support Orders are not "one size fits all" and determine on a case-by-case basis with an eye to previous cases (case law) which have already been argued in court.

That is all.

It may SEEM like it is a male vs. female situation simply because in the past women traditionally stayed home with the children. If you look through CanLII you will see that things have evolved nowadays to consider same-sex marriages as well as men who stay home to raise children while the wife pursues a career. Spousal support awards are made regardless of sex.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
        Ugh, this sort of behaviour is despicable, on BOTH sides.

The women are basically prostituting themselves for having a great lifestyle and maybe not having to work in their home countries, and the chance to come to Canada, pretending to love the man, but really scheming to dump him and clean him out.

The men are basically keeping a prostitute on retainer for their personal sexual use in the other country, while pretending to love the woman, but have no intentions of making it a full and equal relationship.

Neither side can ever trust the other. There are no deep feelings; they are only using each other to get what they want (sex/money).

This is why the world still needs feminism.
        Men are not keeping the woman as a prostitute on a retainer for their personal sexual use. The women choose to stay with the man and can leave at anytime. It's the woman that chooses.

In most cases, the woman chose a local man first, and got to live as a local. She then saw how foreign men treated other females in her country and she decides she would like try a foreign man relationship. With the foreign man, she has a much better life - better food, accommodation, entertainment, medical care, etc.. She gives and gets the same amount of sex from her male partner whether it is a local or a foreigner.

So in summary, what's the difference to the woman? For the woman, sexually, there is no difference. The major difference for her is life style improvements. Once again, it's about the money, not love, or deep feelings. She could stay or leave anytime.

It seems women in Canada, sway the morals of society and law, to focus on deep feelings and love. But when their relationship breaks, they focus on the money and life style - just like in the above scenario. The woman gets the money and continues her life style, and then gets to choose a new sex partner or no partner.

In Canada it's sort of like, women hook men, with the impression of a deep loving relationship, give the man lots of sex for the first few years. After a while, maybe 5 or 10 years or a couple of kids, the woman loses interest in sex. Most men will lose interest in a woman if there is no sex in their relationship. Unfortunately, the man is still hooked, and stuck now in sexless loveless relationship. So upon divorce - the woman gets money for the sex she provided early in the relationship. Sex for money - that sounds like prostitution.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
          The law recognizes that one person stayed home (forgoing a career of their own) to raise the children, maintain the home, thus freeing the other person up to pursue their career.... intended outcome being that both individuals share in the success. The law recognizes that this is a contract or agreement between two people.

Of course there are differences but then that is why spousal support Orders are not "one size fits all" and determine on a case-by-case basis with an eye to previous cases (case law) which have already been argued in court.

That is all.

It may SEEM like it is a male vs. female situation simply because in the past women traditionally stayed home with the children. If you look through CanLII you will see that things have evolved nowadays to consider same-sex marriages as well as men who stay home to raise children while the wife pursues a career. Spousal support awards are made regardless of sex.
          The issue is that there is far too much weight and work and value given to the person that stays home.

The only logical reason for the law to be so weighted unfairly is that the government wants to avoid having many of the "home partners" and kids living in poverty after divorce/separation. If they were below poverty, then the government would have to give them money. So either ex-partner gives the money or the governments gives the money. The government decided the partner has to pay.

I've read a lot of those cases in CanLII. The judgements seem very unfair with lots ridiculous imputed values and assumptions 90% of the time favouring the "home partner" or mostly the female. The judges always assume the man, or working partner, would never have improved his wealth or life style without the relationship. During the period of the relationship, all of his improved assets and cashflow is attributable to the "home partner" and without the home partner there would have been no improvements.

In many of those cases, the "home partner" had no career or any job anywhere equivalent to the working partner, at the beginning of the relationship. It seems the home partner just hooked into the relationship for the improved life style, under the illusion of love and deep feelings. They would have never been able to obtain the improved lifestyle and prosperity by remaining unattached.

Comment

I think it is simpler to think of marriage as a business arrangement.

I've always maintained that if one person stays home to raise children/look after home & do domestic chores they should be paid an hourly wage (not a salary). (I guess it would come down to how much value someone puts on the work of the stay-at-home partner). However, young families often have to have someone stay home simply because they cannot afford child care. The higher-earning person might be the one who stays on in the workforce even if the stay-at-home partner has more education and possibly, much better career prospects long-term.

You have raised some interesting points.

Perhaps the smart thing to do is to marry someone who has a similar economic background as opposed to marrying the store clerk. Not too many years ago Ivy league colleges were full of young people whose families sent them there in order to meet the "right" girl or boy from the "right" family. Perhaps they had the right idea.

There are, of course, many variables.

Comment

women from foreign countries won't say no to a man from Canada, ever. They'll come with you enjoy all the great things, learn the game and take your money if they never really digged you personally .

you are right.. if you brought the property to the relationship it's yours.. what ever equity the property built since it gets divided.

Canada isn't the greatest country to get into relationships in.. unless you're dating a down to earth angel. Is she a down to earth Angel? it won't matter cause her friends will rig her up.. and the lawyers love it cause this is what they make a living off .. getting into people's business and taking their money
              Last edited by trinton; 05-21-2017, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by trinton View Post
                women from foreign countries won't say no to a man from Canada, ever. They'll come with you enjoy all the great things, learn the game and take your money if they never really digged you personally .

you are right.. if you brought the property to the relationship it's yours.. what ever equity the property built since it gets divided.

Canada isn't the greatest country to get into relationships in.. unless you're dating a down to earth angel. Is she a down to earth Angel? it won't matter cause her friends will rig her up.. and the lawyers love it cause this is what they make a living off .. getting into people's business and taking their money
                My understanding is that common law spouses do not divide the equity built up during the relationship. Only in a legal marriage is the equity built up during the marriage divided equally. This is the most significant difference between common law and a legal marriage.

I agree with you about corrupting attractive foreign women visiting Canada, with an old Canadian man.

Western women, especially old Canadian women, just hate seeing an old Canadian man with a lovely sexy foreign woman. I've seen old Canadian single women, in foreign countries, complaining to resort and hotel management, when they see an old Canadian man with a lovely young local girl, like in Mexico, Dominican Republic, Cuba, etc. etc.. It seems they expect the old guy to go after the old woman. In some foreign countries, I've also seen old Canadian women being entertained by handsome local lads.

Comment

I can speak for myself and my experiences in observing good friends (older men and women) who observe a fellow old geezer with a young foreign woman.....

I observed lots and lots of laughter behind the old geezer's back. His social life in Canada was abruptly curtailed as his friends simply did not want the "spectacle" at their homes nor did they want to hang out and play cards with him anymore. I also observed men and women (young and old) feeling sorry for the young woman who obviously was so desperate that she had to become the nurse-maid/prostitute to the old guy. It really is a pitiful sight - I'm talking about a guy in his 70's with a 20-year-old. And yes, the happy couple did end up having a child together!

It must be disconcerting for the adult children of the old geezer to see their father playing house with someone younger than themselves.

So if you are contemplating something like this you should stop and consider how welcome you and your young g/f will be in your friends homes. Invitations to go out dining with friends may also evaporate.

Hey I'm what you would consider an 'old Canadian woman' and I really could care less so please do not state that "older Canadian women, just hate seeing an old Canadian man with a lovely sexy foreign woman." As long as the taxpayer isn't stuck with the bill then each to their own. When I see this I just think that someone is screwing the maid. Doesn't bother me in the least.

Comment

Originally posted by cigar7 View Post
                    My understanding is that common law spouses do not divide the equity built up during the relationship. Only in a legal marriage is the equity built up during the marriage divided equally. This is the most significant difference between common law and a legal marriage.
                    Can someone verify this? I'm very interested to know.

Comment

It really is a pitiful sight - I'm talking about a guy in his 70's with a 20-year-old. And yes, the happy couple did end up having a child together!
                      Thats just messed up. But hey, to each their own.

Comment

I can speak for myself and my experiences in observing good friends (older men and women) who observe a fellow old geezer with a young foreign woman.....

I observed lots and lots of laughter behind the old geezer's back. His social life in Canada was abruptly curtailed as his friends simply did not want the "spectacle" at their homes nor did they want to hang out and play cards with him anymore. I also observed men and women (young and old) feeling sorry for the young woman who obviously was so desperate that she had to become the nurse-maid/prostitute to the old guy. It really is a pitiful sight - I'm talking about a guy in his 70's with a 20-year-old. And yes, the happy couple did end up having a child together!

It must be disconcerting for the adult children of the old geezer to see their father playing house with someone younger than themselves.

So if you are contemplating something like this you should stop and consider how welcome you and your young g/f will be in your friends homes. Invitations to go out dining with friends may also evaporate.

Hey I'm what you would consider an 'old Canadian woman' and I really could care less so please do not state that "older Canadian women, just hate seeing an old Canadian man with a lovely sexy foreign woman." As long as the taxpayer isn't stuck with the bill then each to their own. When I see this I just think that someone is screwing the maid. Doesn't bother me in the least.
                        I’m happy to hear your viewpoint and observations.

I’m curious why you refer to old geezer’s young woman as a “nurse-maid/prostitute”? It’s perfectly normal for a man and woman near the same ages, to have sex and take care of each other, but when it’s an old man and a young woman, now she is classified as “nurse-maid/prostitute “.

Your point about being a spectacle is also interesting. There is an old saying “the birds of feather flock together” meaning that people who are similar to each other or share similar interests tend to spend time with each other. The old man with a lovely young wife is no longer similar to his old friend couples. So it’s understandable that the couples part company. But there is also the possibility the couples change.

The woman in an old couple doesn’t want her husband anywhere near the controversial couple because he’ll see how much more joyful and energetic his friend is with his new lovely young wife. Maybe the husband of an old couple may get thoughts of getting rid of his wife and getting a lovely young wife too.

In old couples, it is usually the woman that objects to seeing, an old man with a young woman. In many old couples, the man just goes along with the wife, to avoid raising a difference of opinion, potential conflict and increasing stress. Most old couples are happy just maintaining the status quo and not improving their lives.

Comment

Why would a beautiful young woman want to end up with an old geezer? Financial security. (Female is likely well-aware of the old geezer's stash of little blue pills).

You have some very specific views of how older people view infidelity. Perhaps this is a cultural issue for you? .... perhaps observations of your own parents?

I have found that self-respecting, confident people don't feel the need to flirt and carry on with opposite sex, regardless of their age or sex.

If you really want to get a wide range of opinions perhaps you should conduct an informal poll on this forum (under chat section) and find out how many young women find old men physically attractive to them? You could also ask how people feel about their parents shacking up with someone 40 years younger?

If you're looking for endorsement into your own personal situation, perhaps you should find another sort of forum?

Comment

Why would a beautiful young woman want to end up with an old geezer? Financial security.

not necessarily. not every women out there is after the mullah. and not every man out there is seeking a nurse maid. These are simply skewed perceptions of people following a divorce. I've caught myself guilty of this aswell. There are many great down to earth pleasant people out there. Not everyone is evil.

You have some very specific views of how older people view infidelity. Perhaps this is a cultural issue for you? .... perhaps observations of your own parents?
                            There is no universal law. Regardless we live in multicultural country. It all boils down to personal opinions and biases.
                            Last edited by trinton; 05-22-2017, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Why would a beautiful young woman want to end up with an old geezer? Financial security. (Female is likely well-aware of the old geezer's stash of little blue pills).

I have found that self-respecting, confident people don't feel the need to flirt and carry on with opposite sex, regardless of their age or sex.

If you really want to get a wide range of opinions perhaps you should conduct an informal poll on this forum (under chat section) and find out how many young women find old men physically attractive to them? You could also ask how people feel about their parents shacking up with someone 40 years younger?

If you're looking for endorsement into your own personal situation, perhaps you should find another sort of forum?
                              That’s the typical shallow narrow view from old Canadian women as to why young women date older men. I could tell you many reasons why women date older men, but it would be best if you hear/read the reasons from young women and psychologists. If you truly want to understand the reasons why beautiful young sexy women, not just young foreign women, date older men, I recommend you google the phrase “why women date older men”. It’s not just for the money. Googling gets over 13,000,000 hits, some websites have 21 reasons. Alternatively, you can continue thinking you know it all and condemn these women as prostitutes.

I’ve never stated or implied infidelity. An old man, who is with a beautiful young sexy woman, could have a marital status of divorced, widowed, or single or even legally separated, so there is no infidelity.

Additionally, let people do whatever they want at any age. Some people let age dictate or limit their activities. Let people do whatever makes them happy, not what makes their friends happy.

Intelligent, confident, successful healthy, men think for themselves and go after what they want. No need for opinion polls or for endorsements from old Canadian women.

Comment

This is quite funny. I have to say I haven't had a man tell me, a woman, why young women date older men. You talk nonsense - like I was never young.

So what, on earth, is your point to this useless prattle?
                                You have a young girlfriend... if that's what makes you happy - good for you.

Now it's way past your bedtime grandpa....you probably need your rest cause the old prostrate likely has you up several times through the night.

Nighty-night!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X