This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case Book Cases Where to look.

Totally new here...going thru 3 years of hell. spent a fortune, now self repp'd..NOW Trial. Crazy. So Trial Record is filed. (not even sure what to enclose) Next Exhibits, But I have to research some cases to help my case...where do start?

CanLII

Comment

awesome...thanks. Do you know if I can cite Case law from eg.BC in Ontario Court?

Comment

TRIAL RECORD.
        What goes in this...Application, Answers, Amendments, Financial DIsclosure, Green sheets, Endorsements...... what about Request to Admit... and Responce to Req to Admit. Anything eles? Past motions, Affideavits....anyone know???

Comment

Hey, thanks again for your help....anythought on Trial Record

Comment

Originally posted by Fed-UP! View Post
            TRIAL RECORD.
            What goes in this...Application, Answers, Amendments, Financial DIsclosure, Green sheets, Endorsements...... what about Request to Admit... and Responce to Req to Admit. Anything eles? Past motions, Affideavits....anyone know???
            form 22 goes in there (request to admit)
            Response to a request to admit would as well, if you plan on responding.

I find the clerks to be very helpful for this kind of thing.

Comment

this is so crazy, I did 2 actually 3 so far Req to Admit "Documents"1-182 Tabs but I think the Tabs of exhbits will go in later....So I guess I'll file the Index of the Req for Documents, File the Req to Admit "Facts" , File the Response to Req. to Admit for both parties, and I'll type up an agreed Facts Statement...OMG. who has time to work, this is my full time job..

Comment

I think I get confused, The Trial Record, will have all the documents, including agreed facts, and moving forward the exhibits....as for the Case Book. Can I quote Federal, or BC or NewBrunswick cases and appeals?

Comment

Good question..Can "we" use case law from other provinces????I'm thinking/hoping yes.It might depend on which "statute/law" the divorice was granted on?????

Comment

just a quick start - but i believe the answer is no. You can't reference other province's rulings unless you are prepared to "make new law in Ontario" which is something I believe would be very expensive. Many of the provinces are similar to the point that you should be able to find case reference in your own province. The hardest, at least for me is selecting the right keywords so in fact you do get relavent cases coming up in your searches.

Please remember to search right here! There are so many points discussed on the forum with good, no great leads! It is the start for what you seek - again it is to select the right keywords so you get good results.

Hope this helped a bit....

Comment

My 2 cents - we're in Sup Court, and both lawyers have quoted BC cases in our Ontario files.

Comment

Whats your status....Motions? Trial

Comment

done CC, SC heading to trial management

Comment

question for torontonian: when you mentioned "quoted out of province cases" - was it quoting things that were already covered in Ontario (so they in effect were more in support of the ontario law in effect today? Just making sure I understood what this means? I was sent an out of province case a while back, that mirrored my cicumstance really well and when I brought this up with the lawyer his response was to use out of province case law can be extremely expensive so more than likely not within my limited budget. Reason I ask is what you said - the items quoted, were they in support of Ontario decisions already in effect, or were they to make an agruement that, well, to date had never been introduced or decided on in Ontario? In otherwords they were breaking "new ground"? (I hope I explained this right - I can't think of any other way to word it?

Comment

Hummm - I don't know. I guess they were in support, but I am not enough familiar with the case laws in ON to say that with certainty. Sorry.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X