This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing aspects of separation agreements

If my ex applies to change the child support in our separation agreement I've been told by my lawyer that it opens up other aspects of the agreement to be renegotiated. We had originally agreed on a sum of child support based on the fact that I took less money when he bought me out of the house and I agreed to no spousal support. Even though this was the table amount based on his income he is now saying this is too much and has increased his expenses to make it look like he makes less money than he actually does (line 150) I have a case conference coming up and I've never been through this before and I was wondering if anyone else has been through this. My lawyer says it could open him up to have to renegotiate the amount of money he gave my for the house. I've been trying to do my own research because I'm a little confused and basically I just want the child support to remain the same and have him pay the arrears...I don't want to complicate matters but I'm not sure what to do.

He is trying to lower it but not because he's making less money ...he's just gone to a better accountant and been able to pad his expenses to give the illusion that he's making less money. Lowering it wouldn't be a huge deal if it wasn't like pulling teeth to get his help with medical and dental bills.

Comment

Thank you scared1 ...that site was very informative. My Case Conference is on Dec. 7th and although my lawyer is very positive about everything I'm still nervous about it. My ex owes $15,000 in arrears and I found on that site very few judges reduce arrears...I'm hoping everything goes ok. Christmas is going to be pretty small this year : (. Guess that's reality and my kids are going to have to learn that life isn't always that great....but I'm happy and they're happy and healthy so that's whats most important : )

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X