Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if I just went and picked up my kids ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I have learned that possession really is 9/10 of the law. My ex failed to return the children from his access week. We had shared custody and week about access. He enrolled them in a school by his home (an hour away) and The police would not get involved at all as there was no enforcement clause. I filed an emergency motion to have the children returned and put back to their normal regime until we could sort this out properly.

The motion was heard 1 week later and the Judge decided to leave the kids where they were regardless of the father's actions to unilaterally remove the children from their schools and the week about schedule that had been in place for 4 years and be put over to further proceedings......guess what, new status quo and the longer that this dragged on, the more the new status quo became established.

This sent a very terrible message to my children basically showing them that you don't need to abide by court orders and what their father did was right.

This was in 2007, it still boggles my mind how this happened.

Comment

Originally posted by forthekids View Post
      Well I have learned that possession really is 9/10 of the law. My ex failed to return the children from his access week. We had shared custody and week about access. He enrolled them in a school by his home (an hour away) and The police would not get involved at all as there was no enforcement clause. I filed an emergency motion to have the children returned and put back to their normal regime until we could sort this out properly.

The motion was heard 1 week later and the Judge decided to leave the kids where they were regardless of the father's actions to unilaterally remove the children from their schools and the week about schedule that had been in place for 4 years and be put over to further proceedings......guess what, new status quo and the longer that this dragged on, the more the new status quo became established.

This sent a very terrible message to my children basically showing them that you don't need to abide by court orders and what their father did was right.

This was in 2007, it still boggles my mind how this happened.
      Brutal is all I can say

Comment

If the kids would be okay with it...I say do it.
        Once you are at the school send her a text saying that since she hasnt allowed you to see your children you are taking them out for dinner and will return them to her at X:XX time.
        You have just as much right to your kids as she does...no more and no less. If there are no court orders. Do it!! I would.

Just make sure she knows whats going on so she doesnt get worried or freaked out.

Comment

Originally posted by Summer13 View Post
          If the kids would be okay with it...I say do it.
          Once you are at the school send her a text saying that since she hasnt allowed you to see your children you are taking them out for dinner and will return them to her at X:XX time.
          You have just as much right to your kids as she does...no more and no less. If there are no court orders. Do it!! I would.

Just make sure she knows whats going on so she doesnt get worried or freaked out.
          Personally, I can't think of a worse idea. Ratchet up the hostility with the ex, and probably freak out the kids, who will know something is going wrong and won't know whether to trust their dad or their mom or what. If you haven't seen the kids in a long time, this is a terrible way to re-introduce yourself to them - out of the blue and without any preparation.

The OP is making a long hard slog through the courts to re-establish his access to the children - stay the course, keep on keeping on, and don't sabotage yourself by stunts like this.

Comment

Originally posted by plainNamedDad44 View Post
            Ok, enough crying. Thanks for listening.

Hey man, this is terrible stuff you're going through. Don't be too hard on yourself. You need to think strategically, not act on impulse. Read through the forums and get in line with a strategy that actually has more chances of success, such as being prepared, having a detailed parenting plan, living near the children, whatever. Know the law!

Stay the hell away from your ex, do not get involved in any policing matter. You need to be like teflon for your kids.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X