Conflict, Kids and Divorce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conflict, Kids and Divorce

Studies have shown that children who are exposed to conflict and family violence are more likely to have long-term physical, emotional and behavioural problems.
    Well....glad to hear that you lot acknowledge, and are now ready to do something about it. About time

New program aims to limit conflict kids see in parents? divorce | The Chronicle Herald

Our psych talks about this a lot. He has also shown us the literature. He says that reducing the transitions between homes is key. Of importance though: he is not suggesting limiting the contact with either parent, just reducing the transitions.

Comment

Originally posted by Serene View Post
      Our psych talks about this a lot. He has also shown us the literature.
      Please provide references if you are able. I am very much interested in learning the various strategies to transition.

Comment

The common strats are drop off at school by one parent and pick up at school by the other parent. You can theoretically almost never see the other parent.

Comment

Originally posted by FWB View Post
          Well....glad to hear that you lot acknowledge, and are now ready to do something about it. About time

New program aims to limit conflict kids see in parents? divorce | The Chronicle Herald
          The cynic in me says this has a hidden agenda.

Comment

Our psych talks about this a lot. He has also shown us the literature. He says that reducing the transitions between homes is key. Of importance though: he is not suggesting limiting the contact with either parent, just reducing the transitions.
            Really? Most Section 30 evalulators recommend 2-2-3-3 based access schedules for children 3 and under and 2-2-5-5 for children 5 and under. In fact, the evidence based medicine in support of their recomendations is well established.

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...plained-13702/

By the way, this ^^^ posting is commonly cut-pasted-and-then-edited by lawyer blogs all the time. It hits in the top 3 now on Google if you search for 2-2-5-5 based access schedules too.

Check out the number of transitions between homes on the 2-2-3-3 schedule that is commonly recommended by proper professionals. Transitions between homes are not an issue actually and if you would like I can pepper this thread with countless studies on the matter or you can simply read my previous posts on the matter.

Good Luck!
            Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
              The cynic in me says this has a hidden agenda.
              The cynic in you should be focused on the piddly amount of funding (240,350) for this program. This isn't even the legal bill for a high-conflict divorce costs order!

A.F. v. J.W., 2013 ONSC 7770 (CanLII)
              Date: 2013-10-17
              Docket: FS-08-00007251
              URL: CanLII - 2013 ONSC 7770 (CanLII)
              Citation: A.F. v. J.W., 2013 ONSC 7770 (CanLII)

[30] In this case, J.W. had to climb a very large hill in order to present the case he needed to present. In find that under the circumstances it is fair and reasonable to order A.F. to pay costs to J.W. in the total amount of $400,000, inclusive of fees, disbursements and taxes in the amount that I set out above for counsel previous to Mr. Ludmer.
              So if it costs a parent 400,000 to successfully secure proper custody and access for one family... What is $240,350 in federal funding going to get NS? Not much.

So, I think there is something to be cynical about but, it isn't a hidden agenda... It is an agenda with a budget that costs less than a single high-conflict divorce proceeding...

Like announcing that the government is going to invest 250,000 into cancer research... They might as well buy everyone at the court house lunch. It would probably have a more positive impact.

Good Luck!
              Tayken

Comment

What does that show Tayken? That divorce is too expensive?

250k is not a tremendous amount but it represents probably the funding for some training courses and manuals and a resource person for a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                  What does that show Tayken? That divorce is too expensive?

250k is not a tremendous amount but it represents probably the funding for some training courses and manuals and a resource person for a year.
                  250,000 is not even the cost to a FTE for a trainer to even run the program. Let alone develop the content that they would be training. More than likely the 250,000 is a grant to some researcher to complete a paper at most.

High conflict divorce is too expensive. Divorce itself isn't. Only 3% of cases are high conflict but, consume most of the court resources. Divorce is cheap when people are reasonable, accountable and not nutbars.

If the money is being allocated to help the 97% of people who divorce without nonsense then the money is probably properly adjusted. If it is for the other 3% who take up the majority of the resources... It isn't much.

If the divorce industry is 1 billion dollars a 250,000 investment is a whopping %0.025 drop in the bucket.

Won't buy you much... 250,000 won't even cover the cost to put up a website, develop that content and pay for the bandwidth it consumers for a year.

Good Luck!
                  Tayken

Good Luck!
                  Tayken

Comment

I really haven't read past the above post, except - I have.

Tayken is a whole different monster -and for me to verify or dispute what he says would take more time to research then I care to invest. Frankly, usually what he has to say is just simple common sense anyways...

But having said that, from personal experience - exchanging the child(s) on a more repetitive schedule vs, a longer schedule has always worked out better.

This is opposite of what the 'experiments' might tell you - but it has been *my* experience.
                    Last edited by wretchedotis; 02-05-2014, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X