Ottawa Divorce .com Forums


User CP

New posts

Advertising

  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 06-08-2021, 09:56 PM
Karma2016 Karma2016 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 92
Karma2016 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue22 View Post
How did your ex manage to do that? My ex and I have been separated for over 5 years and the MH is in his name and he says I won't get my share of the 500k to 700k ncrease.
That’s what he says.

I was told any my lawyer that unless I had the MH evaluated right after we separated, and certified, he would benefit from the increased market value when I sold it 3-4 months later.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-09-2021, 12:52 PM
trueblue22 trueblue22 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 138
trueblue22 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma2016 View Post
That’s what he says.

I was told any my lawyer that unless I had the MH evaluated right after we separated, and certified, he would benefit from the increased market value when I sold it 3-4 months later.
My ex had a retroactive valuation done about a year after separation but that was 4 years ago. Based on what your lawyer told you and what my ex's lawyer told me (which my lawyer disputed) I'm no better off than before...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-09-2021, 01:01 PM
rockscan rockscan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5,933
rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue22 View Post
(which my lawyer disputed) I'm no better off than before...
Your lawyer gets paid no matter what happens to you. Of course they will dispute everything because it means $$$ for them. You end up fighting a lost cause and have to pay the lawyer out of the small amounts you get.

Which means if the only person telling you something different than the law or court decisions is the person you pay to fight for you, you need to think really hard if you want to spend money on a losing battle.

Look at your exs offer to settle and see if he will throw in a bit more to end the case. The longer it goes on, the more money you spend losing what you think you are entitled to.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-15-2021, 08:36 PM
alongjourney alongjourney is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 24
alongjourney is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennys Friend View Post
I was a bit shocked to learn and still not Hardly fair, when the other side has dragged his feet for two years and now the housing market has skyrocketed!
Yup, I'm getting screwed as well. 3 lawyers, CAS, criminal court, she's delaying everything and wants lifetime spousal. So unless we agree on CS (child custody issue..) and SS (which we cannot agree), there's no real way to get qualified for a mortgage. And prices around here have pretty much skyrocketed in the last 2+ years. It's maddening.

Many will say "just settle it!" but that's not always feasible when the other party moves the goal post. I guess she was right when she threatened to "spend every dime she has to make my life miserable and drag me through court for the rest of my life". Oh well, the kids are doing good.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-17-2021, 10:32 AM
ifonlyihadknown ifonlyihadknown is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 233
ifonlyihadknown is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongjourney View Post
YSo unless we agree on CS (child custody issue..) and SS (which we cannot agree), there's no real way to get qualified for a mortgage.
If you end up paying a large enough amount of CS and SS you may still be screwed. (I went through this a year ago.)

These days, most mortgage lenders look at support payments as a debt, similar to a credit card debt. So if you're paying $6,500/month in support, they evaluate this as the same as if you have a credit card (or similar) debt that requires payment of $6,500/month. This means that most lenders will simply refuse to lend you any amount, irrespective of your actual income (minus support payments).

In my case, I went through a mortgage broker who found a 2nd tier lender who would look at my net take home salary after support payments and lend me money based on that amount.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-17-2021, 09:30 PM
Karma2016 Karma2016 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 92
Karma2016 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongjourney View Post
Yup, I'm getting screwed as well. 3 lawyers, CAS, criminal court, she's delaying everything and wants lifetime spousal. So unless we agree on CS (child custody issue..) and SS (which we cannot agree), there's no real way to get qualified for a mortgage. And prices around here have pretty much skyrocketed in the last 2+ years. It's maddening.

Many will say "just settle it!" but that's not always feasible when the other party moves the goal post. I guess she was right when she threatened to "spend every dime she has to make my life miserable and drag me through court for the rest of my life". Oh well, the kids are doing good.
How long were you married and how old is she?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-18-2021, 09:51 AM
ifonlyihadknown ifonlyihadknown is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 233
ifonlyihadknown is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma2016 View Post
How long were you married and how old is she?
Ah, the "Rule of 65" rears it's ugly head! Indentured servitude in 2021.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Separation Date vs. Cohabitation Date for SS DavidMills Divorce & Family Law 2 11-26-2020 02:33 PM
Date of Separation Dispute Karma2016 Divorce & Family Law 2 06-21-2018 01:30 AM
Valuation Date gvjt Financial Issues 4 03-18-2012 12:46 AM
what happen between valuation date and "today" TODAD Financial Issues 2 04-18-2011 11:34 PM
Date of Separation divot Divorce & Family Law 1 09-30-2008 02:52 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:18 PM.