Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self representation or lawyer??

Hi!
    I am the Respondent in a custody and access matter. Just when I was feeling confident about the process I received an email from the other parties lawyer.

Has anyone experienced self representing vs. represented?
    If so, would you recommend it? Any suggestions on how to respond to the other parties lawyer? Or anything I should know ahead of time?

I feel I have a good argument on my side however I'm second guessing myself going up against a lawyer.
    Thanks!

A lawyer is always a better choice, but, which lawyer and how you use them are different questions.

Unless you have money to burn rely on your lawyer for legal advice, not emotional support. Follow their instructions without needing 4-10 reminder emails (which you’ll have to pay for). Interview a couple and ideally hire one who only practices family law - not a generalist. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere.

“I feel I have a good case” are very dangerous words. You need a legal opinion on the strengths and weaknesses. Not what you ‘feel’ to be important facts.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X