OTS Extracurricular Activities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OTS Extracurricular Activities

I need a different set of eyes to look at this, maybe I am just being unreasonable. I am the Respondent and I believe clause 6 will effectively deny me the opportunity to make extracurricular activities decisions for my son at school; I only have my son Thursday overnight after pick up from daycare (hopefully starting kindergarten in September) and that is the only day I have access to him midweek.

Extracurricular

6. The Applicant and the Respondent shall make extracurricular parenting decisions for the child jointly, where a financial contribution is being sought, or the other parties’ parenting time is being affected.

7. Both parties may attend extracurricular activities, scheduled events, and appointments regardless of the parenting schedule.

8. When the child is participating in an extracurricular activity (for example, a soccer game), the residential parent during their parenting time will take the child to the activity.

9. The Respondent may sign up for the child for extracurricular activities (like soccer, rugby, Karate) during his parenting time and he will be responsible for bringing the child to and from practice including competitions. If the Respondent wishes to register the child for an activity outside of his parenting time, he shall get the Applicant’s consent in writing.

10. If the residential parent is unable to take the child to an extracurricular activity, then that parent will first ask the other parent if he or she is available to do so. If that parent is unable to do so, then the parent initiating the request is responsible for making appropriate arrangements.

If it’s on your ex’s time, they get to choose what your kid does. Unless they want your help in paying for it, then they would need your consent as well. Vice versa for your time. You can pick any Thursday night activity you want (or weekends if you have weekend access) and don’t need the other parents permission unless you are seeking compensation.

This is pretty standard for most agreements.

Comment

The problem is you are an eow parent correct? Which means she can do whatever she wants as long as you a) still get your time and b) don’t have to pay.

Most agreements have a general clause on consulting on all activities including school, medical, religion and extracurricular activities.

Your clauses are too wordy and will probably be either edited or rejected. Keep it simple:

Both parents will consult on xyz.
      Neither party will deny parenting time due to a s7 activity.
      Both parents will be permitted to attend any s7 regardless of time.
      Expenses for section 7 activities require written consent for (repayment...choose a word).

Comment

Thank you, you have been very helpful.

Comment

If you want to make parenting decisions (like extracurricular activities) then you need to be a parent.

A non-custodial parent is not a parent. They are like a grandparent. They are present, and they love the child, but they are not in control.

If you want to be a parent, the time to become a parent is now. You will never get a chance to change this ever again.

As to your specific question, your agreement actually seems very reasonable. Parents get to make parenting decisions during their parenting time, and they do not get to make decisions that affect the parenting time of the other parent. How else would you have it set up?

Comment

extracurricular activities

Janus you are the friend I have always wanted, straight to the point,objective and says it as it is, Kudos to you, I get it, you painted the picture so well, I have to make a decision or radically accept and live with it. Thank you, I don't mean this in a sarcastic way, you are good 👍, I know what I need to do and thanks again for the support.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X