This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordered to pay x legal fees

Judge ordered I pay 1,500$ to X towards his lawyer fees. He has paid a total of 2,000$ in the past 2 yrs 6 months child support...X Was orders to pay 1,398$ dropped to 900$ now 778$ but still payments... Children reside with me full time thire chice, i have the kids in councelling to rebuild thire relationship with father... How on earth do I support two kids on my own and pay his lawyer fees? Please someone help me to understand I can't even retain a lawyer for myself??

Custody order 50/50...December of 2011 is it possible to change this order this late in the proceeding?

Comment

Originally posted by bern View Post
      Judge ordered I pay 1,500$ to X towards his lawyer fees. He has paid a total of 2,000$ in the past 2 yrs 6 months child support...X Was orders to pay 1,398$ dropped to 900$ now 778$ but still payments... Children reside with me full time thire chice, i have the kids in councelling to rebuild thire relationship with father... How on earth do I support two kids on my own and pay his lawyer fees? Please someone help me to understand I can't even retain a lawyer for myself??
      so first he paid 2000 cs that was dropped to 900 and his current payment is 778?? I take it all those amounts are court ordered? His income went down so his amounts went down?? Is he paying that every month?

How old are the kids involved?

What was the reason for you to have to pay 1500 towards his legal fees?

Hate to say this but you have to tighten your belt and work with his lawyer to pay monthly if you can. If your ex is paying 778 every month then tighten your belt for a couple of months and use some of that money to pay off the lawyers fees.

Comment

Custody order 50/50...December of 2011 is it possible to change this order this late in the proceeding?
        is there any legal reason to change it?? It may look like a tit for tat thing.

Comment

Originally posted by slughead10 View Post
          get a job?
          where does it say she is not working???????

Comment

It's pretty much impossible to give advice from the amount of detail given.

The fact that you were ordered to pay costs (was that his full costs, or part?) indicates that the judge thought you were behaving somewhat unreasonably.

The fact that you don't understand why indicates that perhaps you are not 'equipped' to represent yourself in court.
            Last edited by dinkyface; 07-15-2012, 01:45 PM.

Comment

That sucks.

But dinkyface is correct. Judges order costs when, in their opinion, you have acted in something less than the childrens best interests. It's their way of saying 'you're at fault'.

Reading your posts - it seems as if now you want to revisit custody issues because of this? As if, and I am ony speculating here, you feel he should be either punished by losing his custody to the child(s). Or perhaps you would gain a larger CS payment to off-set the costs awarded against you?

Thats exactly the type of attitude that will get costs awarded against you, assumng I'm reading the tone of your posts correctly.

Comment

Slug... Not that it's any of your business, I am employed with corrections Canada if you most know... Thank you for the insult very adult of you... You remind me of my work Clients.

To all that have not condemed... Thank you... Other details.
                Kids are 11 & 13 yrs old, both kids have subjected to drugs etc, while visiting with him and now just choose not to visit him... Children's lawyer is involved and stands behind boys wishes.

Judge did not have all the information at time of decision making...

Comment

Not everyone has that option, glad to hear you do though.

Comment

I think you should do what you can to pay the judges ordered costs anyway you can. The comparison of what your ex has paid in CS (for your mutual children) against what you have been ordered to pay your ex for losing against your ex in court is faulty. the two are not linked. CS is for children, costs are for the winning party to receive and the losing party to pay.

I am sure this sucks and maybe the judge did not have all the facts, like you suggest but if you fail to do as the judge orders dont expect the judge to look at you with kind eyes in any next steps including trying to have 50/50 reduced.

All of the above said, it strikes me that because you lost you now want the shared parenting revoked so you can receive money to pay your ex's lawyer/costs. This is not a winning strategy if this is the truth. Any judge worth their salt will see this for what it appears.

If I were in your shoes I would ask my employer for overtime as I can not see any judge thinking $1,500 is a lot of money.

Good luck and sorry to bear bad news.

Comment

Judge ordered I pay 1,500$ to X towards his lawyer fees. He has paid a total of 2,000$ in the past 2 yrs 6 months child support...X Was orders to pay 1,398$ dropped to 900$ now 778$ but still no payments... Forgot the NO...

My mistake No CS is being paid. 2000$ in total in 2 yrs. I had not contested shared custody until now... To many ODs while with kids...

Comment

Judge ordered I pay 1,500$ to X towards his lawyer fees. He has paid a total of 2,000$ in the past 2 yrs 6 months child support...X Was orders to pay 1,398$ dropped to 900$ now 778$ but still no payments... Forgot the NO...

My mistake No CS is being paid. 2000$ in total in 2 yrs. I had not contested shared custody until now... To many ODs while with kids...
                        Sorry, but I don't understand this post. You were ordered to pay $1,500. Ex was ordered or not to pay $2,000?

Again, CS and costs can not be linked. They are seperate issues.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X