Kids health cards, birth certificates and passports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids health cards, birth certificates and passports

Ex has decided to take all the government issued documents pertaining to the kids. We are currently separated with shared custody.

ex had the nerve to put it on the separation agreement that ex will be the librarian of these documents.

Now, should I be getting notarized copies, will the various agencies have no issue with the copies ?
    I have already spent money on legal fees. I don't want to spend more if the copies will do.
    Thanks

Is there anything in the agreement that says she has to provide them on request?

You need the passport/bc to cross the border and that would be a normal request. As for the health cards, Im pretty sure you could use a copy and if found in a medical emergency she would obviously show up with it.

If you have language in the agreement to have them provided it shouldnt be an issue. She should provide the health card if kid is with you for a long period of time.

Not a hill to die on in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by abuseddad View Post
      Ex has decided to take all the government issued documents pertaining to the kids. We are currently separated with shared custody.
      Not really worth a battle. You can easily gain access to this documentation if needed (for registrations to sports programs as an example) through a motion if they don't produce it. They would also be seen as being unreasonable for not providing it to you and have to pay costs.

ex had the nerve to put it on the separation agreement that ex will be the librarian of these documents.
      Nerve? Really? You don't have to agree to the clause and can propose something else back. If you have multiple children you can hold 1 of the birth certificates and she can hold the other. One can hold a passport and the other has the other one. Etc... That way you both have to cooperate with each other.

Now, should I be getting notarized copies, will the various agencies have no issue with the copies ?

I have already spent money on legal fees. I don't want to spend more if the copies will do.
      You won't be able to cross a boarder with a copy of a passport but, for the more important document (health insurance) they can look up the child's record if you don't have proof of insurance and / or a photo copy will do.

Good Luck!
      Tayken

Comment

standard gatekeeping controlling mother craziness... i agree with tayken. She just wants to feel like she is the "official" parent....

Comment

Order a new health card, reporting the other "lost". Send her a copy of the new one.

Wait till you are told that the Child's Immunization record should remain with your ex because they have a superior filing system! Whatever, just make a new one and move on!

Comment

You can order a new birth cert and SIN card and report the others as lost. Health Card and Passport cannot be reordered or the old ones will become non valid. A Photocopy of the health card is all you need. A passport is no good unless you get their or a court order to take the child(ren) out of country (aka notorized travel consent)

Comment

Originally posted by SuzieSunshine View Post
              You can order a new birth cert and SIN card and report the others as lost. Health Card and Passport cannot be reordered or the old ones will become non valid. A Photocopy of the health card is all you need. A passport is no good unless you get their or a court order to take the child(ren) out of country (aka notorized travel consent)
              A new birth certificate will make the existing one invalid, BUT you are allowed to have one short form (wallet size) and one long form.

I'm in the process of process of changing S2's name to include my surname and planning to order both so my ex can have the short form and I will be keeping the long form which states I am his legal parent.

A photocopy of child's current health card is actually what the judge ordered my ex to provide me. I also scanned his health card into my phone (front and back) for emergency/reference.

Comment

Thanks everyone..traveling to a different province in Canada.. Can you use the long form ?

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks everyone..traveling to a different province in Canada.. Can you use the long form ?

You flying? Long form will work.

Comment

Yup..flying

Comment

You can order a new birth cert and SIN card and report the others as lost. Health Card and Passport cannot be reordered or the old ones will become non valid.
                      Why would that be a problem?

If the other parent was gatekeeping, I would have no hesitations about making their documentation invalid.

Comment

Are you sure about that? I was able to obtain a second provincial health card for my kid without having to report the old one as lost. Ex and I both have a card - as far as I know, he hasn't encountered any difficulties in using his, and I haven't had any difficulties using mine.

Comment

@Stripes Hi there, how were you able to get a second health card? In Ontario?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X