Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What age can children be left at home alone?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no "magic" number and there are a variety of "factors".

For example ... my 2 youngest are 11 & 13. Either one of them I've left alone for the day (while I work) or if one calls me from school not feeling well, they go home, call me and all's fine. However I can't leave them BOTH home together. They FIGHT. I get call after call at work with silly stuff like "mommmmm, he won't get out of my room" .. "mommmmm he drank the last of the milk". Not to mention the odd hole in their bedroom walls.

My ex was/is insisting that they do NOT need summer care because they are too old ... well then he should have them stay at HIS house because mine get's destroyed. On their own, they are GREAT ... together, not so good!

This past summer the 13 yr old didn't go into any camps but the 11 yr old went for 2 weeks. I managed to get 3 weeks off, 7 the "short weeks" (due to long weekends) their 18 yr old brother was around & 1 week the oldest stayed at his cousins so it all worked out.

In "my" case, I wouldn't leave them younger than 10 yrs old, I still won't leave them alone together for more than an hour or so and I won't leave either of them during the night (ie. if I worked night shift, which I don't)

JMO

Comment

If you leave ten yr olds home alone, I would be expecting a call from CAS shortly thereafter.

Comment

http://www.torontocas.ca/wp-content/...loneforweb.pdf

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X