Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil court case

Hi everyone,

I was here a long time ago asking about some family law issues. That part of my life is over now, but I am currently finding myself in a civil suit against my former employer for wronful dismissal and human rights violations. Does anyone know of a forum like this that I could ask questions or would anyone here have any experience with a civil case? I had a few general questions about my case and my questionable representation that I can't seem to find any answers to.

Can Lii has tons of cases. What exactly are you asking for or question? I have a bit of experience in civil law cases.

Comment

Well my main question is concerning the paralegal I'm using. My former employer requested voluntary mediation and I agreed and paid for my half. He said he would update me when he had information. He called about 3 weeks later and said that mediation had taken place, that they didn't make an official offer to settle and that my former employer was noted in bad faith. He told me I am able to use the mediator's report as expert evidence because of this. So my question is, am I not supposed to be more involved in mediation? I wasn't given a date, time or place for it and wasn't contacted until it was over. Does this seem right? It seemed weird to me, so I asked if I could see a copy of the report and he refused me. Is this normal practice or should I make a complaint?

Also, he is working on a contingency fee basis and after this he sent me an invoice of almost 1000 dollars. We did not discuss any disbursement amounts moving forward, so it was a surprise to me. I was expecting a call or email letting me know about the costs. I requested a breakdown of the costs and how they were calculated and he became defensive and now has ignored my emails for 3 weeks now. I'm not sure what to do about it.

Comment

I worked in employment law and I have never heard of mediation not involving the client. That IS weird. Contact the Law Society of your Province regarding next steps

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X