This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help with a spousal support issue

Hello I need help with a SS issue,I was married 20 years,divorced 6,I have been paying SS for 6 years and will until I retire, or my ex wife remarries,I can also vary the motion,If there is good reason to do so,My question is I need help.My lawyer does not want to help,All he say;s is well dont rock the boat,My income has been the same since our divorce,40k,My ex wife is now making more then she did at the time of our divorce,She works fulltime,Then she quit;s and moves on to another job,And another and so on,She bought her own home with the equity of our matrimonial home,She now live,s with her BF,She has a brand new car,and is now either going to sell her home or rent it out,She also works for cash under the table,makes great money at it too,Is there a way to prove these facts,I am positive she is not claiming all income,Only the SS ,She interfere;s with my new life and upset;s our families and yet she continues her vendictive way;s ,Is there a way I can impute an income through the courts or on my own,This has gone on for too long,There are many men and women whom need help after a divorce but when there are others whom keep taking and taking yet are very self sufficient,Then what?My wages are garnished through the fro and that is another issue as many others have ,How do I make others see what is going on?I will be requesting all income tax returns soon which I have this right,but if they differ from what I know then what would be my next option,Will the courts understand what I am going through,As I am very upset that these games and lies are being played and it upsets me when others are being taken advantage of,Where the spousal support payor has nothing left then suicide and depression fall into place,
    Thank-you Peter

If her financial situation has changed, you could say it was a material change and try to have a judge alter it. How long do you have to pay? I would calculate how much you have left remaining, and see if it's worth it to go to court over it.

If you want her to report the cash under the table, you could call Revenue Canada and report it. Not the nicest thing to do, but they have an anonymous tip line, same principle as Crime Stoppers. They look at your initial net worth, add up your income for the period, and calculate what your ending net worth would be. And, when it's Revenue Canada, the burden of proof is switched to the accused.

I think the best option would be to make an offer. Offer her a lump sum payment somewhere in between what you think you owe and what she believes she's owed.

You may also want to read the spousal advisory guidelines, or at least the summary on uToronto's website. It'll help you understand the reasons you can modify spousal support, and it shows some past cases as examples.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X