This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notice of Trial - Changing Date

I was served with a Notice of Trial. I want to push out the date by 4 months. I'M told that I need to fill out a Notice of Application + Affidavit. Has anyone done that ? The Notice is 5 pages long and seems excessive. the Affidavit is 3 pages. I'm simply asking to change the trial date and apparently need to go before a judge for that. i need more time to prepare and get legal advise. I only want to type up a few lines that is it, nothing complicated.

- Do I wait for the Trial Date to come (file my affidavits 28 days prior to trial) ?
    OR
    -Do I have to file some kind of a response within 21 days to the Notice of Trial ?
    It does not tell you to file a response, however the self help on line tell you to file a response.

What you need to do is, go to the local courthouse and look for the express aisle.

Comment

I don't understand and don't mean to be rude but you must have known for a while that you were heading to trial. This case management system moves like a slug.

Instead of wasting your time delaying perhaps you should put your energy into getting prepared quick. I actually envy you that you have a trial date - that to me could be another year away - It's taken 8 months to get to a case conference.

Trial = resolution and getting on with life.

I wish you the best regardless of which road you take but I hope for the kids resolution comes sooner than later.

Good Luck!

Comment

I know I'm not answering your question either.... but try, try, try to find the energy and guts to pull it together and stick with your trial date.

My stbx has successfully delayed showing up for case conferences for 16 months now... wish I were at your stage, believe me.

I was just in a trial for criminal charges brought about by false allegations by stbx... self rep for that as well.... it was terrifying the last weeks leading up to trial, but I buckled down, got my evidence together, typed up the pages and pages of questions for examinations and cross examinations. Unfortunately, we ran short by about 2 hrs for finishing... and guess what, another 4 1/2 months till we go back for last witness and closing statements. Soooo wish I was finished with all this. And BTW, once trial started rolling, it felt much better, and the anxiety disappeared...

Again.... do EVERYTHING you can possibly do to make it happen.... I envy you that you are so close to the end. Good luck! ... and hopefully someone can answer your questions. BTW, have you had a trial conference yet? Thought that was to make sure both parties are ready to proceed? Sounds like that would be your chance to ask for more time if you really need it.

Comment

It says , 21 days after receiving Notice of Trial, if you object to trial date set by other party: Request a
          - Case Planing Conference or
          - File application to have trial rescheduled.

I don;t know which one I should file. I want to have enough time to prepare as I self represent and have never been on court , the ex has lots of experience. I want to go to a few trials and get legal advise.

Comment

I was told Case Planing Conference is for Civil Cases . I need to file a Notice of Application + Affidavit. First you explained it in the Application, then expand it in the Affidavit, then I need to create and I need to create an application Record for the court etc, etc. So much paperwork

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X