This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Order

Does anyone know that once the final order has been placed in the courts to be signed, how long does it take to get it back? There are reductions in SS and increase in CS, and our signed minutes stated starting from Septemeber 1, 2008. I want to get this information to the FRO so that everything can be balanced out

Seems like the two parties mutually agreed .I went through the same and had by orders in 2 weeks

Comment

very strange ours went in mid october and we are still waiting. Can I call the court and request a status?

Comment

Ours took six weeks from signing of Minutes of Settlement to receipt of final order.

Comment

There can be long delays waiting for a court order. It has to be prepared by one of the lawyers office clerks, approved by counsel, sent to the courts and then issued. Then you finally get a copy yourself.
          The court in our case issued a separate order to FRO with the relevant info so adjustments could be made ASAP.
          Have you checked your status for orders with FRO on the automated system?

Comment

Length of time.. it depends

A Final Court Order being signed is dependent on how busy the court is and if any other emergency orders are being dealt with. My variation of a Final Order was 12 working days. Call the courthouse frequently to check, then get a copy yourself and fax it to the FRO, put your case number and find out who your worker is at the FRO and put Attention to their name, URGENT and your FRO file number on the cover. Call them before you send it and after to verify the fax quality. Follow up on every detail, leave nothing to chance. It took another 4 weeks for the FRO to apply the court Order, and for my work to change the garnishment. This is the bitter reality of the system, but be polite with the FRO and express the urgency and you may gain an ally.

All the best, hope everything works out for you.
            Mcbroke

Comment

That just brought a curious thought to mind. Is everyone supposed to get a case worker with FRO? I know I don't know of anyone that I am supposed to have direct contact with, I was only ever just given my case number & PIN & just the numbers to the automated line and the general agents.

Comment

Re: Fro

Hi Kimberly,

I believe everyone has a case worker, you will probably never get to talk to them, but request their name for any urgent correspondence so that they can expedite your request. We have become so number oriented, that we fail to realize that there is an actual person assigned to each file. If you wish special attention, fax a letter with your case worker's name. I was told it helps, and my experience has been positive. These case workers are SWAMPED, so a nice personalized letter might just help.

All the best,
                Mcbroke

Comment

I guess my post was confusing? I was never assigned a case worker.

Comment

very frustrating...called the court office and they have had the order since oct but it is not signed yet. The clerk said they are way behind. How can they be this behind when people's lives depend on it. We barely have enough for groceries

Comment

It is correct that everyone is assigned a case worker.. good luck trying to get that out of them. It took me seven months of pestering to get it. and did I pester.... I wanted her to call me directly because I was tired of getting conflicting answers from the call reps. In those seven months I was trying to get them to enforce final order that changed my amounts. So as you can see that can take a while.
                      The Courts & Lawyers can be slow too. I have recieve 3 final orders in my case so far, and this is what I have been given as to time frames.
                      It can take about a few days to a few weeks for the judge to sent their endorsement to the winning party's lawyer. It is typed up and then sent to the other lawyer. This lawyer has up to 30 days to approve or appeal the order. he then sends it back to the first lawyer who then sends it to the judge/court. Once at the court it is disbursed to who needs it from there ie FRO. Six weeks is fair and good. My spouse is just telling me that he thinks that they may have only 60 days to go thru this process. and he advises to start to track it down at 45 days if you have heard nothing and definately get very concerned after 60 days. He feels it should been done by then and thinks there would be something wrong if it goes to that long. This is coming from our experiences and what our lawyer tells us too.

Comment

Thank you AtALoss. I have since stopped bothering to call FRO. They were informed by his former (yes, I typed former) employer near the end of December that he was no longer employed with them (Agents stated they were informed he quit his job). They only sent October's payment - received November 25th, and November's payment was mailed via cheque to FRO December 19th - received January 5th. September and December are still unpaid, and it will likely continue to go unpaid now.
                        They issued a Federal deduction notice with the Canadian Justice Department on December 29th, but I doubt he gets a GST cheque based on what he was making at the job that he quit to avoid child support ($24.51 per hour), or the order was issued too late to catch the January cheque.
                        We have a settlement conference Feb 3rd, I just served/had sworn/filed the paperwork for it today, so we'll see.

Good luck to everyone.

Comment

Sad but true the judicial system is very behind everywhere. The system has has to dismiss thousands of cases as they do not have the time to deal with them. ie; in my spouses case they had him in court for the past six yrs over an order that expired in 2002. Having him appear 3-4 times every year. So you can see why things are so conjested. There have been changes to the judical system in particular family law that are helping this. But time to catch up is slow too. Call your lawyer and get them to put preasure on them too.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X