Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:20 AM

iona6656 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2teenboys View Post

I don't know if the WHO recognizing the impact this has on children's mental health would have any impact on our family court system today. ...
I think it will...it takes some time- and a lot of case law...but widely held world views on health do tend to make it to the courts eventually (except, apparently, for vaccines- but that case is just WTF!?!??). In the case of domestic violence and its impact on children- the studies are making it into some case law these days. Unfortunately- not enough- but it's getting there.

Again though- I think there needs to be a move away from the principle of 'maximum contact' as being the primary principle- and a look towards the best interest of the kids. I think in many cases of parental alienation- the risk to the child is great enough that it probably should warrant reduction in the parenting time for the offending parent. Like you said- it's a lot harder to fix it once it's started.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:44 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

My partner’s lawyer explained it this way. Because there is no set standard a d it is he said/she said, judges are hesitant to acknowledge alienation unless the case is severe. With a set of standards plus training for judges and lawyers, things will be viewed differently. Therapists and other psychological experts will contribute to the training and information. They may even introduce new regulations for different cases. For instance mandatory training for parents or mandatory therapy for families. This is a major shift for the legal community and will have impacts on the medical community too!