This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Parenting Schedule Idea

I wasn't even really brainstorming ideas, but this method of dividing time for children between separated parents struck me, and I haven't been able to shake it. I've never seen it suggested before, and I was wondering if that's because I'm way out to left field and it wouldn't work.

Two kids, shared 50-50 parenting.
    Kid1 with Mom, Kid2 with Dad one week.
    Both kids with Mom the next week.
    Kid2 with Mom, Kid1 with Dad the next week.
    Both kids with Dad the fourth week.
    Repeat.

Advantages
    Each child gets one on one time with each parent. Each parent gets a week break from any kids. Each kid gets half the time with their sibling, half alone. Kids can do age appropriate activities much of the time without a sibling being dragged along or needing a sitter.

Disadvantages
    Each child goes two weeks without residing with the other parent. Not sure what else? I have a funny feeling there's more I'm not considering, and much would depend on the ages of the children and proximity of homes, etc.

Opinions? This is purely a theoretical exercise for me at this point.

I think it would depend on the ages of the children to a great extent. However, we do practise similar with our children when we have them both with us, so that each are afforded special time with (Step)Mom and Dad.

I would look at swapping houses on the mid-shift Wednesdays, then there is no long-term without access...and I am a big supporter of non-traditional access, like webcams and email, snail mail and care packages, etc...

Our children appreciate the lone time with each parent, and benefit from it immensely!

Comment

Alternatively,

Two kids, shared 50-50 parenting.
      Kid1 with Mom, Kid2 with Dad one week.
      Both kids with Mom the next week.
      Both kids with Dad the fourth week.
      Kid2 with Mom, Kid1 with Dad the next week.

It may prove more difficult in practise as far as stability and routine, and the other factors would be how well the parents are able to co-parent, as it would require a great deal of effective communication, and educational requirements and demands and schedules for other activities.

Comment

The other great disadvantage is that the children go without seeing each other for two weeks each month. That is a long time to be away from a sibling. As you say, it depends in large part on how old the children are.

I know my children (who are very young) like the fact that they are always together no matter whether they are with their mom or their dad.

Comment

our children are also young-ish, but being a blended family, are used to spending most time as "only child"(ren)

Comment

How would you work it for vacations and birthdays?

Other than that, I like it. Not sure if the kids would though.lol

Comment

Children can do quite well with longer periods away from one parent or the other...6 weeks in summer is not unusal access for an NCP with distance issues.

In fact, some cases have allowed the NCP to have half of christmas holidays, every sping holiday, rotating easters, and the summer holidays...as well as any other time agreed...in order to ensure the max contact principle.

Comment

IMO, it depends on the kids. Mine are pretty much glued together most of the time and wouldn't take to being seperated for that long very well at all.

Comment

Might work for some, but I would never want to do it myself. It is very important to me that my kids are each others' best friends, and they really are. They are siblings and have their battles but deep down they really do love each other. I do like the "one-on-one" idea though, we did consider doing that one day of our schedule but never implemented it.

DD

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                    IMO, it depends on the kids. Mine are pretty much glued together most of the time and wouldn't take to being seperated for that long very well at all.
                    Mine too. They are very tight and IMO they are each other's best constant since we separated 4 years ago. I wouldn't dare separating them from each other. But that's just my kids. We all know our own kids the best. For that reason we can only comment theoretically on that proposed schedule. Because I can't help but project my own situation onto my assessment of your schedule, I think it's too much time away from the siblings.

Comment

When my boys were 9 and 12 we were in the same situation. I suggested the same arrangement as the original poster, and we used it for a couple of years. We also took turns taking both boys out for dinner Wednesday nights. The arrangement seemed to work for all of us.

We also spent their birthdays and Christmas together. They didn't want to be apart those days, and we both wanted them, so we made it work.

Comment

Originally posted by paris View Post
                        We also spent their birthdays and Christmas together. They didn't want to be apart those days, and we both wanted them, so we made it work.
                        Fantastic parenting!!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X