A Judge's Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Judge's Thoughts

I came across this partial paragraph in a judgment today, and it struck a nerve with me.

The judge wrote:
    Unfortunately, and as is too often the case, the family law proceedings that arose from the couple's separation became protracted and antagonistic. Such proceedings also too often spur one party or both to ugliness and in some instances to violence. Why this so often happens is a mystery to me, but the reality of it happening cannot be denied.
    Grrr! A mystery to him?? How can a judge express such cluelessness about the slow pace of the legal process? Surely he's intimately familiar with it and knows perfectly well why it happens. It's like he's throwing up his hands and disavowing any knowledge about human nature. If judges themselves just sigh and accept the system instead of wanting to change it, how is change ever going to happen?

Unfortunately, I came across it through my work, and cannot find it on Canlii, so I can't reference it directly. Just had to share my annoyance though.

And these people decide the most important matters in our lives... Oh yeah, and find out how many of them have debenched EVER....

Comment

I heard first hand how judges are quick to give cookie cutter statements that I believe are meant to be impact statements but that really don't make any sense... the judge told my husband he should "be grateful for such a gift" from his former spouse. Such a gift was she apparently relinquished him from Child Support (that he didn't owe). Everyone's eyes raised in the courtroom. It made no sense. My husband has always paid full CS and all extra costs (even those that are rightfully included in his full CS payment each month like school field trips and pizza lunches, etc.). And for whatever stupid reason, the judge said that his former spouse "gave him a gift". It made no sense at all. Someone said that perhaps that judge wanted to give the impression that both parties compromised somehow, but to think we have to cater to people's emotions that way in family court is unreal.

Comment

Judges trump everyone else in a courtroom. People should fully absorb this fact into their craniums as they enter the courtroom.

Comment

Originally posted by wantmyfreedom View Post
          Judges trump everyone else in a courtroom. People should fully absorb this fact into their craniums as they enter the courtroom.
          It's a fact and a frightening one at that - whenever one steps into a courtroom it ends up being a toss of the dice. So many cases with self-evident proof, lawyer's doing a fine job of presenting facts ... yet for some idiotic reason, the judge can't seem to make a decent ruling?

I can understand that having so many cases to deal with, a judge would become 'blazé', yet they are well payed for their trouble. Us poor shleps have to wait years and sink our life's saving's into having our day(s) in court.

Does it ever happen that a judge is 'disbarred' for making bad decisions/stupid comments? I doubt it.

Comment

Grrr! A mystery to him?? How can a judge express such cluelessness about the slow pace of the legal process?
            A coworker told me yesterday that he's started divorce proceedings. He's got a couple of small kids, a house, assets, etc.

He was mentioning that he's retained a lawyer and wants to have everything done in a year's time.

I refrained from saying anything because he's already having a hard enough time...but I thought to myself "yea, it won't be a year."

He's also dealing with one of those in-home separation. I can tell he's just an emotional mess right now. These lengthy in-home separation situations ...where you can't move out until you get an interim agreement in place...are one of the main reasons that there is so much violence (or alleged violence). In the US, you can move out without having to worry about losing custody.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X